want to build new pool but need some advise

niko7

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
Riverview/FL
Hey guys,

First I want to thank you guys for this forum. It's great and I can't even believe how much I've learned while reading through pool school and some of the posts over the last few weeks! I feel like caring for our pool will be much easier since being introduced to BBB.

We plan to build a pool soon but are confused about about which type to go with (gunite or fiberglass) and all the specific problems that come with each type of pool. I realize that most people here have gunite and that is what we were leaning towards but I keep thinking about things like acid washing and re-plastering that come with those types of pools and think that we would be better off with a fiberglass pool since there's so much less maintenance and from what I've read will cost us less in the long run. The issue with fiberglass is what I've read about staining, bubbles in gelcoat, degrading gelcoat and the lack of reputable builders.

I know there is a lot of misinformation out there but can someone please clarify if a gunite pool really has to be acid washed every 5-7 years?

What about resurfacing a pool, who long does plaster last before I needs to be re-plastered? The builder we spoke with a couple of days ago said they can last 15 or more years. Is that true?

I have more questions but these would be a great starting point.

Thanks in advance.

Niko

Welcome to TFP!

please clarify if a gunite pool really has to be acid washed every 5-7 years?
Certainly not. If well cared for there would never be any reason to acid wash.

Plaster lifetime is somewhat variable, say 10 to 20 years depending on how well you take care of it. If you keep your levels properly balanced and don't acid wash, 15 years is very reasonable.

Awesome! Thanks for the super fast responses and far clarifying this myth.

Can you guys help with this question. We're planning to get a SWG, the first PB that we spoke with mentioned that it's better to purchase a SWG for a larger pool than you actually build. He said that it would make maintaining chlorine levels easier. Is this true?

Awesome! Thanks for the super fast responses and far clarifying this myth.

Can you guys help with this question. We're planning to get a SWG, the first PB that we spoke with mentioned that it's better to purchase a SWG for a larger pool than you actually build. He said that it would make maintaining chlorine levels easier. Is this true?
Yes. It's easier on the cell to run only part time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.