Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: want to build new pool but need some advise

1. Back To Top    #1

want to build new pool but need some advise

Hey guys,

First I want to thank you guys for this forum. It's great and I can't even believe how much I've learned while reading through pool school and some of the posts over the last few weeks! I feel like caring for our pool will be much easier since being introduced to BBB.

We plan to build a pool soon but are confused about about which type to go with (gunite or fiberglass) and all the specific problems that come with each type of pool. I realize that most people here have gunite and that is what we were leaning towards but I keep thinking about things like acid washing and re-plastering that come with those types of pools and think that we would be better off with a fiberglass pool since there's so much less maintenance and from what I've read will cost us less in the long run. The issue with fiberglass is what I've read about staining, bubbles in gelcoat, degrading gelcoat and the lack of reputable builders.

I know there is a lot of misinformation out there but can someone please clarify if a gunite pool really has to be acid washed every 5-7 years?

What about resurfacing a pool, who long does plaster last before I needs to be re-plastered? The builder we spoke with a couple of days ago said they can last 15 or more years. Is that true?

I have more questions but these would be a great starting point.

Thanks in advance.

Niko

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: want to build new pool but need some advise

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by niko7 View Post
    please clarify if a gunite pool really has to be acid washed every 5-7 years?
    Certainly not. If well cared for there would never be any reason to acid wash.

Plaster lifetime is somewhat variable, say 10 to 20 years depending on how well you take care of it. If you keep your levels properly balanced and don't acid wash, 15 years is very reasonable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

And a pebble product like Pebbletec or many other brands of pebble finish will last 20+ years or longer if taken care of.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome! Thanks for the super fast responses and far clarifying this myth.

Can you guys help with this question. We're planning to get a SWG, the first PB that we spoke with mentioned that it's better to purchase a SWG for a larger pool than you actually build. He said that it would make maintaining chlorine levels easier. Is this true?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by niko7 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the super fast responses and far clarifying this myth.

Can you guys help with this question. We're planning to get a SWG, the first PB that we spoke with mentioned that it's better to purchase a SWG for a larger pool than you actually build. He said that it would make maintaining chlorine levels easier. Is this true?
    Yes. It's easier on the cell to run only part time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

We recommend getting a SWG designed for a pool 1.5 to 3 times larger than your actual pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the info. That should be added to the SWG section of pool school.