First time opening pool and using T-100

May 28, 2014
Fort Worth, TX
Well I got my test kit yesterday and gave it a go this morning. Our pool was finished at the end of the summer and followed the builders guidelines until winter. I then found TFP and am looking forward to getting things done the right way.

Here is some info regarding my pool
Location- North Texas
34000 gal chlorine pool
Wet edge Pebble finish
Jandy Flow Pro Variable
DE 60 filter
Polaris 280 cleaner

Here are #'s from my first test
FC-3.5
CC-0
CH-325 (are we going for blue or purplish tint here)
TA-150
CYA-75[emoji21]

I have been using Leslie's power powder plus, but loaded up on bleach this week. I seem to have trouble maintaining FC levels recently. I have tried to familiarize my self with pool school and so forth. Id love to hear feedback from the TFP crew. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you measure the PH?

Your TA is a bit high. I suggest lowering the PH to 7.2 any time it gets to 7.8, which will drive the TA down over time.

You didn't say where you live? High CYA is more of a problem in some areas than in others.

With CYA at 75 you never want to let your FC level get below 6. If you are having problems maintaining FC at 6+, you may have a low level algae problem and need to SLAM.

I live in the North Texas area, I tried to sneak it in at the top of my pool info. My PH was a tad high, about 7.8. I have been battling some algae issues. I'll work on the pH, do you suggest I drain some pool water first and refill to get the CYA down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas tends to be really sunny, so slightly high CYA levels are reasonable, say 60. Going a little higher than that, perhaps 65, is no big deal. So, yes it is worth replacing some water to get CYA down, but you only need to lower it a little right now and then let it drift down a bit over time from there.

It would be helpful if you put your location in your profile and a description of your pool in your signature. See the Settings button, just below the Pool School button near the top right.

Congrats on the new pool!

Here is some info on updating signature and location, What we need to know to answer your questions.

Here is a link to the levels for your pool, Recommended Levels. Also, PoolMath will help you with how much to add to achieve recommended levels. Yes, draining and refilling is a good idea, will help a lot if you need to SLAM also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.