Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: D.E. Multiport Valve Sight Glass Question

1. Back To Top    #1

D.E. Multiport Valve Sight Glass Question

I have a D.E. Filter with a Pentair 2" Multiport Valve P/N 261152 .

I've been looking at replacement Sight Glass part information and I'm curious about a particular Sight Glass. The Pentair P/N is 272550 "Sight Glass w/Vacuum Projector".

My original Sight Glass is an OEM "Praher" P/N E-17-S1. Here's the picture:

Praher E-17-S1.jpg

Here's the picture of the Pentair 272550 Sight Glass:

Pentair 272550.jpg

I'm assuming that the "vacuum projector" is the circled area. What is the vacuum projector? What does it do?
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: D.E. Multiport Valve Sight Glass Question

That includes a valve which is designed to let air into the system if there is a slight vacuum, but shouldn't let anything come out through the valve. It can be useful if your waste line doesn't fully drain after use. By letting air in, it allows the waste line to drain in the rare cases where it wouldn't do so on it's own. However, it is also another thing that could break, and slightly reduces the visibility through the sight glass.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks.gif for the info. I'll probably stay with an original replacement part.
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah, more **** that can break.....or maintain!!!!!
    I don't believe that this is an upgrade (in performance) to the older design either.

If it not broke, then don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That includes a valve which is designed to let air into the system if there is a slight vacuum, but shouldn't let anything come out through the valve. It can be useful if your waste line doesn't fully drain after use. By letting air in, it allows the waste line to drain in the rare cases where it wouldn't do so on it's own. However, it is also another thing that could break, and slightly reduces the visibility through the sight glass.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Garrobo View Post
    yeah, more **** that can break.....or maintain!!!!!
    I don't believe that this is an upgrade (in performance) to the older design either.

If it not broke, then don't fix it.
    agree.gif