Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie: 99% OR 95% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie: 99% OR 95% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione

Prior owners used 99% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione 3' tablets. Just purchased Clorox Xtra Blue 3' tablets that are 95% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione and 5% secret ingredients that help keep water blue, dissolve corrosion, and dissolve slower. Do you think these extra ingredients are good and safe or am I better off finding a 99%? Seems that more chemicals, especially ones that dissolve corrosion may be more toxic to people and not necessarily be better for the pool. Please help this newbie. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie: 99% OR 95% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione

Welcome to TFP!

We don't recommend using "multi-function" products. It is always better to purchase each thing you need separately. Doing so is less expensive and gives you more control over what goes into your pool.

Separately, we don't generally recommend using trichlor tablets for regular day to day use. Trichlor adds CYA to the water, which builds up slowly and will eventually cause problems.

In this particular case, I know there isn't anything toxic or even mildly dangerous in those particular tablets. The extra ingredients aren't useful except in rare cases, but they aren't dangerous either.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick response! If you don't recommend Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione for every day use, what do you recommend? Previous owners sore by this stuff, and said it is all you have to use (most of the time). Just throw 2 tabs in each week and that's it for the most part. Looks like I have some learning to do.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP ebeck!

If you are going to use trichlor, use the pure stuff. We strongly teach knowing what is going in your pool and "secret ingredients" go against that mantra. Proper testing and only adding what is needed is more cost effective and easier in the long term.

You should check out the Pool School here. It is a wealth of information to helping you maintain a sparkling clear pool. If you plan to use trichlor then it is important to learn how it works, what it adds to the pool in addition go chlorine, and the consequences of overstabilization.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

We recommend using liquid chlorine (same as household bleach) or a salt water system (SWG).

Trichlor is very easy to use, until you have problems with high CYA levels.

The real key is to understand what is going on and what the tradeoffs are between the various forms of chlorine. Trichlor adds chlorine, lowers PH, and adds CYA. Sometimes you want that specific combination, but in most situations it will end up raising CYA too high.

Do you have a good test kit? Knowing your chemical levels is the most important single think you can do to take care of your pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

More info here at these links. I am linkboy today!

How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Test Kit Comparison
    What we need to know to answer your questions
    Recommended Levels

After you study those come back for more!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! I'll do some studying and get back to you.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ebeck View Post
    Prior owners used 99% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione 3' tablets. Just purchased Clorox Xtra Blue 3' tablets that are 95% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione and 5% secret ingredients that help keep water blue, dissolve corrosion, and dissolve slower. Do you think these extra ingredients are good and safe or am I better off finding a 99%? Seems that more chemicals, especially ones that dissolve corrosion may be more toxic to people and not necessarily be better for the pool. Please help this newbie. Thanks.
    I started to use the Xtra Blue 3" tabs just 5 weeks ago by adding 1 tab per week for the first 3 wks and last week 2 tabs (total 5 tabs. My CYA went from 50 to 80! I use a Taylor drop test kit and when I buy acid have the store do a water test and their CYA readings were within 5 of mine. I have stopped using them and have reverted to plain old liquid Chlorine for the past week. I am hoping regular backwashing will take care of the problem caused by these tabs but it looks like I will end up having to drain about a third of the water and refill. About a month's convenience is not worth the aftermath. Why don't they make trichlor tabs without the cyanuric acid is a mystery to me. This is the first time I had used tabs, maybe other brands don't contain as much CYA but I am reluctant to chance it,
    Gold Canyon Arizona, E facing 12000 gall Pebbletek pool built 2009. Sand filter. Drained & refilled Feb 19 2016. Normally only use liquid chlorine and muriatic acid.
    Most recent drain and refill in May 2017. Water tested daily using Taylor K2007.

9. Back To Top    #9

All tablets contain trichlor. Trichlor is essentially hypochlorite bound to cyanuric acid molecules. Hypochlorite has to be bound to something to be stable. In powdered forms, it's bound to cyanuric acid (dichlor and trichlor). It's bound to calcium in calcium hypochlorite (cal-hypo) products. In bleach, it's stabilized by salt and lye. The only one that doesn't add chemicals that build up in your pool to cause problems is bleach... well that and lithium hypochlorite, but that's very expensive.

95% or 99% is only the percentage of trichlor. The rest is fillers and binders to keep the tablet together. For every 10 ppm of FC you add using trichlor, you're ALWAYS getting 6 ppm of CYA.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by pflood4150 View Post
    Why don't they make trichlor tabs without the cyanuric acid is a mystery to me.
    For the same reason they don't make water without hydrogen
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pflood4150 View Post
    I started to use the Xtra Blue 3" tabs just 5 weeks ago
    You've probably also added copper to your pool. Only use the 99% trichlor tabs if you're going to use any and nothing that says xtra blue.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter