Heater - Raypak - 337a - No gas flow

Apr 4, 2015
Woodlands
My pool is finally clean. Since I don't get a lot of sun to the pool, I need the heater periodically.

In any case, it seems that no gas is getting to the valve.

My question:
When I remove the pressure regulating ports (2x), should there be gas coming out if the valve is in the on position?

I have not checked electrical input but would this prevent gas from coming out of the pressure regulating ports?
I get no gas that comes out from either port. I have tried to get flow by adjusting the pressure positioning screw. yet no flow.

Valve markings: 394606 | VR8304M4853 | 24V 60Hz | 7A

Propane or natural gas? Do you have a union in the gas line by the heater where you can open it to see if you have gas in the line? Have you checked all shutoff valves that might be inline to the heater?

Unfortunately, there is no valve prior to entering the heater valve.

The inlet tube it is threaded straight into the heater valve.

The outlet tube is also threaded into the heater valve and the manifold.

So, I was wondering if there was a way to check flow from the heater valve?

IMG_2334.jpgIMG_6172.jpg

Propane or natural gas? Do you have a union in the gas line by the heater where you can open it to see if you have gas in the line? Have you checked all shutoff valves that might be inline to the heater?

Are you sure there aren't any shutoffs between the meter and the heater? Such a valve is required, and frequently there will be two or three of them (one near the meter for everything, one just before the line goes outside, and another one right before the heater).

I thought there should be one but there isn't..... weird.....

Now, is there a possibility that it could be in the attic? I don't think that it would be though. and even if it is, no one has been up yonder to mess with it.....

Are you sure there aren't any shutoffs between the meter and the heater? Such a valve is required, and frequently there will be two or three of them (one near the meter for everything, one just before the line goes outside, and another one right before the heater).

So there is no union at all in any portion of the pipe to the heater? And no shut off valve? Having no shut off valve is out of code and a hazard. No way to shut the flow of gas off to the unit should something happen.

That must be like a 75,000 BTU unit. In the second picture there are two screws where gas pressure readings are normally take. You need an allen wrench to remove them. The left side is the incoming pressure and the right side is the output or manifold side. So obviously if you were to remove the one on the left, if you have gas in the line it will come out. You can't get a reading out of the manifold side unless the gas valve has been given the signal to open.

Where is the main gas supply coming from?

I feel like an idiot about that gas shut off valve. its teed off the meter!!!!!

Anyway, I just cleaned the Pilot Tube and the inlet tube from the heater valve to the pilot tube.
I have not turned it on yet but I will give you an update later tonight.

I got caught up with installing pneumatic tubes and hoses in my garage......

So there is no union at all in any portion of the pipe to the heater? And no shut off valve? Having no shut off valve is out of code and a hazard. No way to shut the flow of gas off to the unit should something happen.

That must be like a 75,000 BTU unit. In the second picture there are two screws where gas pressure readings are normally take. You need an allen wrench to remove them. The left side is the incoming pressure and the right side is the output or manifold side. So obviously if you were to remove the one on the left, if you have gas in the line it will come out. You can't get a reading out of the manifold side unless the gas valve has been given the signal to open.

Where is the main gas supply coming from?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.