Ok, so I've seen chem geek's suggestion that 1-bather hour requires aproximately 5 oz bleach to oxidize waste. Given my hot tub is a mere 290 gal, if my wife and I soak 1 hour per day, that's 10 oz 6% bleach or +17 FC, which is 1.5x shock level at 30 CYA. So basically I'm super-shocking every day. Is this right?
I was running 20 CYA and could NOT maintain FC. I'd dose with 2 oz 10% bleach at night, in the morning I'd have 5+FC (OTO test) and the next evening it would be 0-.5 FC. That's when I upped it to 30 CYA, which seems to have helped.
Does it make sense to run 40 CYA in a small tub in order to increase FC buffering? That way 17FC is right around shock level.