Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX

Suz: We have Blue Granite and love it. We've only had it about a couple of months. I nearly over-thought the pebblesheen. We looked at 6 pools with several finishes. One other thing to consider is depth of your pool. Blue Granite is a very nice medium blue tone. Also, don't freak when you first fill the pool. Our's looked a little grey/green at first until we were able to get all the chemicals right. I was more worried about the grey tint than anything, but it did clear. What we've had problems recently with is keeping the chems perfect due to all the rains. Our pool will not hold much more water, and predictions are more rains this week. We may be pumping water out. All that valuable water! At least we know know for sure we have no leaks.

As for the shells, every pool we saw that had the shells said they had no problems. One pool was well over 5 years old, and the finish looked new, and the shells sparkled thru the ripples. Some PB's charge about $300 for them, but they came free with our remodel from our PS contractor if we went with a Pebblesheen finish. I'm sure it was built in to the bid somehow.

We are not completely done with our remodel. We are still working on the hardscape and landscaping. It sounds like you and I would hit it off. I'm a big DIY gardener too. There is just something satisfying about digging your stress away.

Thanks for the info on Blue Granite and adding the shells. Last night, I looked at more internet pictures of Blue Granite, and I think I could almost get it without seeing one in person. But I want to take the tile samples to see with the pool. As for the shells, if I can get them for around $300, I will. You make a very convincing case for them. I absolutely love a pool that sparkles, so the shells sound like a match for me.

UPDATE: I started this reply yesterday, the 21st, and my PB called to ask us to tour some pools for finish, etc. That took the rest of the day for only 2 pools. He's extremely busy (I'm sure all PB's are right now), so what should have taken us an hour or so took about 4. The poor guy literally had two phones to his ears. We should have waited to build in the winter. LOL!!! So some of my choices have changed. We first saw an Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen pool. Then we saw a Blue Granite. I liked the Blue Granite, but I was out-voted for the Aqua. We couldn't decide on a compromise, so Aqua Blue it is. I took ya'll's advice and took our sample tiles with us. The glass tile Blue Steel looked great with the Blue Granite, but not so much with the Aqua Sheen. So that put the Peacock glass in first place. Ok!!! Making some progress. We still aren't sure about the "plain" tiles to go on the waterline on the main pool area, so tomorrow I will go to a new place and probably revisit one or two others. Our PB suggested I go to the new place to check on stone choices. We felt like we had a tile selected to go with the Blue Steel until we saw pool water colors yesterday. So we're back on the hunt for one to go with the Peacock.

Golderdog and Kim, the question about using the colorful shell glass trim on the sun shelf was also decided yesterday. Our PB said he wouldn't install them because they are too small for the Tec product - the guys he uses to apply it don't want to work with small pieces so charge the PB too much. Like ya'll, I'm on the fence whether or not it's a good idea anyway. So I'll let that one go. A friend suggested I use the sample pieces on some stone art for the yard.

Rborn, thanks for the support! I've been keeping up with your pool build, and your wife is doing a great job! Tell her I applaud her choices!

Sunbaby, no worries about chiming in. I'll have more choices after I shop tomorrow.

Thanks again to you guys for your help and encouragement. I soooo appreciate it! Take care! Suz.

I took more pictures of the gunite stage, but I haven't had a chance to post them. So I'll do that now. Of course, like a proud mom, I took a ton of them, but I won't bore you with every single photo!

This is a shot of the pool looking out from the back of our house. Right now, it still looks like an enemy alien ship, but it is growing on me. I invite any of you to help me name it for opening day! Hopefully by then, I will have totally positive feelings toward it!

This is a shot from the back or deep end of the pool looking towards the back of our house. You can see what a small yard we have. The pools we toured yesterday were north of us in the country. Wow!! I envy all you guys who live on such gorgeous wooded acreage. I have to admit, the thought did skip across my mind yesterday that maybe we should have considered moving out to the country and THEN build a pool. But we love our home, neighbors and community. I'm getting too old to pull up stakes and start all over. So we're making our retreat right here in our backyard. When I'm floating in the pool, I'll pretend there are empty wooded acres surrounding me!!

This last picture is a better view of the steps. These I love!!! The designer and I were having trouble figuring out how to get the number of steps I needed to easily get in and out of the pool. They needed to be shallow steps, yet that would have meant them going too far out into the pool area. I found something similar to these online, and our pool builder was really interested. I can now get in and out of the pool with no problem!

I had to give up some of my sun shelf, but this was important to me. I still have enough room to do yoga, and lounge in a chair sipping on Texas Tea!!!

Thanks for stopping by and take care! Suz

Thank you, Wendy! I keep meaning to send you a pm in relation to those steps, but things are so hectic right now. Hang onto your hat, cuz you're about to find out just how hectic! Once your dig begins, wow, it gets crazy, but you'll love it. Your pool is a gorgeous design! My favorite is still the rock water fall into the spa. Reminds me of a stay long ago at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort out of San Antonio. I wonder if it's still there??? I got side-tracked, but the point is you're going to have your very own resort before you can blink an eye!

Hey Dave, thanks! When I'm not dog-tired, it's pretty exciting. No kidding....I'm definitely on pins and needles to find out how the story ends!

Hi Lisaclaw, you picked my favorite, option 2! My picks are usually in the minority at this house, so it may not win. Tomorrow, I hit the pavement, again, to the tile/stone places to keep hunting since none of us here can agree. But we're finally making some progress on the selections. Time for me to pack it in, so ya'll take care! Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, I haven't done that yet. I just love those beautiful bits and pieces! Are you planning to use the shell beach trim?

Shopping update: I shopped all day today for tile and stone. I only was able to eliminate using travertine pavers for the deck. They are pretty, but I won't have a large deck area. I want the smaller pavers. The girl at QDI said the only way to get the smaller travertine pavers is to throw out the larger pieces (at my expense). That's just crazy! I would think the larger pieces would cost more, and they would be happy someone wanted only the smaller ones. I still haven't settled on the ledger stone or split face for the columns. My house brick has pink tones, so I have to avoid the rusts and yellows. I really don't want white stones. So next week, I go to another stone place. One thing at a time, right?! Take care everyone! Suz.

go check out MSI as that's where I'm getting my stone stuff, they have a very large show room and it's right at the beltway and hardy toll road. :cheers:

I may use some of that trim but not sure. I have 3 medjools that I have to budget for lol...

Tile! Grrrrr.... We spent yesterday having a look. We want to use stones more than tile, but I am feeling your pain on selections. I'd love to completely delegate it to my wife, but she has been a little passive on the selections. I think we are going with the Mexican White flagstone for coping. We have to find a stacked stone that goes with it and will likely do a travertine pool line tile.

I believe we are going to go with the Aqua Wet Edge. Pebble Sheen is in the picture, but I have heard good things about Wet Edge. And it appears to be about $1k cheaper!

Anyway, I can't wait to see pictures of the tile.

Good job getting your priorities right! Ever try some St Germaine in your TX tea? Mmmmm :)

Pooldv, no I haven't heard of St Germaine! I'll definitely check into adding it to my recipe. Will it compliment bourbon? If not, maybe I'll come up with a new recipe! (now I sound like one of those old movie sisters making their own 'shine')

Thanks for the suggestion! Suz.

Those are my palm trees that will be set on the back side of the pool Suzy. It's ok, ask away.[/QUOTE inground

LOL!! Too funny. I've never heard of those. I thought medjools might be the street name for something sold legally in Colorado, and that you were going to have some great pool opening party!!! (no offense intended here...) I can't wait to see pictures of your palm trees. You've got such a great pool design and location - I may need to take a field trip up your way when all is complete!

BTW, I haven't been called Suzy in years. My first boyfriend used to sing "Oh, Suzy Q" to me. Now I'm really dating myself.... Take care! Suz.

Tile! Grrrrr.... We spent yesterday having a look. We want to use stones more than tile, but I am feeling your pain on selections. I'd love to completely delegate it to my wife, but she has been a little passive on the selections. I think we are going with the Mexican White flagstone for coping. We have to find a stacked stone that goes with it and will likely do a travertine pool line tile.

I believe we are going to go with the Aqua Wet Edge. Pebble Sheen is in the picture, but I have heard good things about Wet Edge. And it appears to be about $1k cheaper!

Anyway, I can't wait to see pictures of the tile.

TW Pool, it's good to know someone else struggles with these choices! The white flagstone sounds lovely. I think it would really set off the aqua water color - very tropical!! Yesterday, I saw a ledger stone I thought was beautiful. It won't work for me, but maybe it would for you. I'll go over to your build thread and try to post a picture of it there. Also, thanks for the reminder about Wet Edge. That might be a better option for us, too. I have some pictures of tile contestants on the first page of this thread. But maybe you meant to see the winners. I hope the judges decide soon!! Have a great day! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.