Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool motor not running

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool motor not running

I decided to fill up some water (so the drag on the pool cover is reduced).
    I also ran the pump and added chlorine.

I forgot about this for 2 hours and the water filled up quite high (not overflowing though). Last rain season the water was even higher.
    Then I noticed the pump was not running even though it was switched on. I have one of the old mechanical switch (mechanical timer).
    I checked the power panel to ensure it was not tripped.

I am not sure where to start. Is there anything else I can do before calling in an electrical or pool guy ?

Thanks,
    -Prasad
    30,000 gal,20'x40' IG (3-8.5 with diving board) ,Plaster,Pentair S8D110, Type of filer - DE,TF-100 test kit
    Poolsafe Automatic pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool motor not running

First I would verify whether power is getting to the timer and then to the motor. If you are not comfortable doing that, then you should call in an expert.

Is the motor making any noise?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

No noise. It's dead silent. I'll post a pic in the morning as I am not sure where to start.
    30,000 gal,20'x40' IG (3-8.5 with diving board) ,Plaster,Pentair S8D110, Type of filer - DE,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Forgot to update this thread. The pump started working in the morning without issues. So not sure why it went dead for a while.

5. Back To Top    #5

That almost sounds like it is in the timer. I know pumps can seize up a little over the winter, but with the power off you can spin it with your fingers to free it up. Since yours wasn't humming, I would say this wasn't an issue.
    SCon36

24,000 Gallon IG vinyl pool (16x36x8) with Hayward S200 sand filter and Hayward pump and heat pump. Built August 2011. I use a Taylor K-2005 test kit with a K-1515 add on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgL...0MyAw&index=29