Pump Overheated

Ken

Jun 13, 2007
Hello!!

Over the weekend as I was cleaning out the skimmer, I noticed that my basket had been dislodged so much that it prevented water from entering the skimmer. Not really realizing what that affected, I went ahead and contiued with my "pool service". When i got to cleaning the area before the pump (i don't know what it's called), I removed the cover and noticed the basked was totally warped and bent out of shape. I went to Leslie's to buy a new basket. After describing what had happened with the skimmer basket, they adivsed the the pump had overheated so much so that it warped the basket. They also said that if it overheated that much, there may be damage to the pump. After replacing the basket, I turned the pump and noticed there is now a leak coming from the intake area of the pump on the outside. Even with the leak, pressure came up and water was flowing. All seemed well with the exception of the leak. I tried to tighted the the nut on the intake valve to no avail.
This morning, I turned on the pump and notice that it is not pumping any water at all.

Why would it have worked fine yesterday, but not this morning? Is there anything in the pump that I can check out?

Any ideas on the leak from the intake valve?

Thanks for your help!!
Ken

Ken,

Sounds like the shaft seal may be damaged. It is a replaceable item but I have never done it. "Waste" or others will be along soon to advise.

Once you get that done, I think you'll be fine......(it also sounds like your pump ran "dry" for a long period of time which caused that to happen).

Welcome to TFP!!

Also welcome to the joy of cavitation :(

As Dave alluded to, the pump didn't run dry if it had, the basket and fittings wouldn't have melted - though the seal assembly probably wouldn't have fared too well - what actually happened is you lost prime and were no longer moving water through the pump. When this happens, the water still in the pump is getting churned by the impeller and getting lots of air entrained resulting in the water getting very close to boiling - the heat generated warps or slags the plastic and rubber parts in the pump, like the basket, the male adapters and the seal assembly. The reason that tightening the inlet adapter didn't work is because the fitting is no longer round and the threads have warped - it needs to be replaced, not a big deal, I can talk you through it. I'd be willing to bet that the effluent adapter also warped and you just didn't notice it and that the seal assembly is shot (visible water under the pump while running is a sign) :cry: The adapter fix is the same as the inlet one - the seal assembly is a little harder, but again, I can help you if you want to replace it yourself (what kind of pump is it? if it's a Superpump I already have the instructions typed up somewhere - if it's any other Hayward pump I can probably tell you exactly how to change it out -- if it's another brand, I can tell you what needs to be done, but not exact wrench sizes or part numbers)

Now for the good news, most pumps can withstand the heat without damage :) It's the PVC and rubber parts that fail, you can probably fix it for under $40 (and $40 is high, but you may need some specialty fittings to do the plumbing part) :goodjob:

Please let us know how things go and feel free to ask for our advice on anything - a pic or 2 would help, but isn't essential, we can ask you the questions that will help us help you 8)

Sorry this happened! But it's not the end of the pump :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.