Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Used MiniMax NT 400k btu NG heater -- good deal?

1. Back To Top    #1

Used MiniMax NT 400k btu NG heater -- good deal?

Hello,

I'm seeing one of these for sale on craigslist (in good working condition supposedly) for only $75.

1. what should I look out for when I check it out?
    2. Will a 1/2" gas line be adequate for this? I'm thinking no, but I have a 1/2" plumbed to my back patio for a grill (I know, much much lower BTU demand) and that would be very convenient.
    3. If above gas line is undersized, could the unit still run, just with a lower output?

Thanks for any info!

Jason

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Used MiniMax NT 400k btu NG heater -- good deal?

Images here that the owner just texted me. Looks like power wires are cut--no big deal.
    Attachment 35214
    Attachment 35215

What do I have to lose here? Worth the 1.5 hour drive and $75? I'm looking to use this on a 18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame AG pool.

thanks,

Jason

- - - Updated - - -

I'm told it was installed (hired installer) 6 years ago, used for 2 or 3 seasons, then removed and put into storage since then. It was working 'perfectly' when removed those 3-4 years ago.

Jason

3. Back To Top    #3

I pulled the manual on this online. It appears to me that my gas line being 1/2" is way too undersized for this size of heater. Oh well. If you're in the greater Seattle area and have a large gas line, this could be a good deal for you.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry no one got back to you. But, I was about to post up what you just found ... your gas pipe is way too small and will only support the smallest of heaters.

Do you use a cover? Considered solar heat?

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Test to see if my signature works.
    AG Intex Ultra Frame 18x48 - new for '15. TF100 test kit. Intex 3,000 gph sand filter/pump, Solar Cover, Intex magnetic pool light, Hayward Skimmer, Laars 250kBtu/hr NG heater. Intex SWG.