Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remove Nature2 cartridge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Remove Nature2 cartridge?

My PB installed the Aquapure AND the Nature2 - of course, i had NO idea what the heck the Nature2 did other than the PB told me it would keep things looking great with very little chlorine. when the cartridge runs out, im not replacing it. I'll tell you the Aquapure 1400 makes 23.5g of chlorine /hr at full power - that would give you almost 10ppm chlorine per day in a 15000gallon pool. I don't know what the fusion soft puts out.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Nature2 Fusion Soft vs. AquaPure

Quote Originally Posted by umpalumpajay View Post
    My PB installed the Aquapure AND the Nature2 - of course, i had NO idea what the heck the Nature2 did other than the PB told me it would keep things looking great with very little chlorine. when the cartridge runs out, im not replacing it. .
    Why wait? Get that junk out of the water NOW.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Why wait? Get that junk out of the water NOW.
    like most people, i wish i'd known and come to this site long before i ever talked to a PB about building a pool or had a friend as knowledgeable as you guys. would have saved a few bucks eliminating the nature2. now that its running, man, i just can't get over the mental hurdle of completely wasting money on the thing - even though i did. one cartridge won't kill me. should run out in the next month. hahahha!
    interesting that the 2 SWG units make nearly identical amounts of chlorine in an hour.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by umpalumpajay View Post
    one cartridge won't kill me.
    I hope that stays true ... do you know how much copper it is adding to your pool? More than 0 is too much IMO.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

One cartridge won't kill you, but once the metals are in your water, you'll have a heck of time getting them out (if you even can). I'd pull it now.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

6. Back To Top    #6

i'll have to look for the thread that says what to do about it. isnt there something inside the cartridge you can just remove and leave it empty? or can you just pull the whole cartridge out? i think the original question was answered -so if im hijacking this, its not intentional.

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Remove Nature2 cartridge?

Yea, I understand the thought of "I paid for it I shoud use it". My hot tub came within a Nature2 cartridge. I did finally pull it, but I looked at it several times before I did.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

i just realized that it only came with a one month cartridge, so that thing has most likely stopped working a couple months ago. on a side note, the N2 has a "won't stain guarantee" and its not an ionizer like i thought. they claim that the mineral levels are too low to cause staining, which must be untrue because as the mineral levels build over time, they'll eventually stain.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yup, sounds like you understand that their "guarantee" is pretty worthless. The funny thing is, for the minerals to show a remote benefit, you need to be at or above the point of staining I think. If the mineral levels are very low, then they are not really serving a purpose besides lightening your wallet.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    If the mineral levels are very low, then they are not really serving a purpose besides lightening your wallet.
    But, to the N2 folks that is the most important purpose!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

The older Nature2 that came with our pool allowed you to just remove the cartridge and water would just flow through the canister. I had some pipe work done last year so I had the canister removed at that time.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

12. Back To Top    #12

i guess i'll pop out the cartridge this weekend to see how it works a little bit. if theres something inside i can remove, i'll remove it, otherwise im just going to put it back and never change it.

13. Back To Top    #13

You may want to take out the cartridge if you don't intend to use it because of other posts on this forum indicating that the cartridge broke open and left small copper pebbles on the bottom of the pool. That will definitely cause some staining.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

14. Back To Top    #14

Has anybody took out this cartridge and confirm there is no issues for the Nature2 to operate without the cartridge? I have a hard time believing Jandy and big pool builders are selling and installing this product if it wasn't safe for the pool plaster. Will they be risking to be on a class action lawsuit?
    12K gallons, IG, Durazzo, Pentair cartridge filter, Jandy ePump JEP2.0 VSP , Pool started March 2, 2015, South FL

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

No danger to run fusion without vessel.

16. Back To Top    #16

my salt cell plugs into the N2 so i don't think i'll remove the whole unit since thats a bigger deal than just running it w/out the mineral cartridge or just letting it run out. @gonzo, i thought the same thing, they aren't dumb when it comes to pool finishes and what their products can do - but it would seem inevitable that eventually staining would occur, whether it be in a year or 10 years.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I also had my PB install a Nature 2 before I knew how to care for my pool. You really need to remove the metal balls from the cartridge otherwise you will end up with metal stains.

Here is a post where I discuss the process I used to remove the metal:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ature-2-Fusion
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

18. Back To Top    #18

I've had a cartridge installed in my pool since the day I moved in. I've taken it apart to attempt to remove the cartridge but it leaves a gaping hole in my return line...

I must have missed your thread on removing the metal when you posted it. I'm going to give it a try this week. If things go south, I have the PVC and parts on hand to splice the N2 fitting out of the line this time.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

19. Back To Top    #19

We have the Nature2 Inground. Were you able to simply remove the cartridge or did you have to cut in to it, remove the metal balls then reuse the cartridge?

Thanks.
    Build thread
    IG Gunite w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, 18K gallons 500sqft
    Jandy: 60 DE filter, 2.0 VS (main pump), 2.0 Flo Pro (features)
    Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 Stealth, PDA PS6, JXi 400K NG
    Flagstone coping & wall. Stamped Concrete from BrickForm. TF-100 w/Speed Stir.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

I had the Frog System (Nature II), guess it is the same thing. Every time I think about the company and its claims that you use 50% less chlorine, I just cringe. They make you add this Algaecide (of course all metals based), then the mineralizer is (of course all metals based), and the bac-pac is $15 for every 10 days, in addition to everything else. After all the calculations, the cost of the Frog was about $100-$200 more for the season. Although, keeping your pool at 1-2 ppm daily is just "unsanitary". Oh, I forgot. They also had me on $200 worth of Non-Chlorine Shock. No Thanks.

I thought about changing over to a Chlorinator as well. Although, my friend added 3" tablets and his CYA went from 30-50 in 2 weeks, which was the goal. Could you imagine after 3 months, where you would be? With a CYA of 100+. Liquid Chlorine is predictable, easy to pour, and cost effective as well. I have my gallons marked 32 oz., 64 oz., 96 oz. and of course 1 gallon. Everything is done monthly for convenience. Unless you have a SWG, the TFP method is the only way to take care of a pool.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013