CYA has dropped, now I can put it where I want it...but where?

FlyAU98

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
So where do I want it?

After taking over from the pool guy (9 months ago?) my CYA tested at 25 today...

South Florida Pool, solar heated, and we keep it in the upper 80s as much as possible (solar controller is set just under 90 degrees).

My chlorine use has noticeably increased over the past month or so...

So now I have the opportunity to take the CYA to where it would best suit my pool. I was thinking around 40?

Chlorine is all done via liquid, with a few short exceptions when I go out of town for more than a few days (usually a 5-7 day trip), when I've been using unknown tablets my dad had left over (my calcium number rose about 25ppm over the past couple months, with about 10-11 days of tablet use).

I don't have a preference in methods to raise the CYA, and my pool store is having a 20% off anything/everything sale this weekend, so its a good time to buy (along with 50% off liquid chlorine!). All things being equal, I might prefer to use tablets to chlorinate and raise CYA if that would work for me.

Today's TF-100 test:
pH=7.5
FC=5
CC=0
TC=5
CH=300 (up from a very steady 275 for months)
TA=70 (I added about 30oz of baking soda to bring this up to 80, I haven't re-tested though)
CYA=25

In your climate, I would suggest 50 ppm CYA.

How do you recommend I bring it up the 25ppm to get to 50ppm?

I only have a couple of the unidentified tablets left... So whatever way the brain-trust here suggests will be bought at the pool store on Saturday or Sunday...

If tablets is the answer...which ones do I buy to not mess anything else up along way?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.