How to build plunger valve

Azgirl71

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 9, 2015
Sierra Vista, Az
Hello everyone. I am upgrading our pool. We have upgraded equipment as seen in my signature. We are now upgrading our inlet and return holes to 1.5" fittings. So here is my question......

Can anyon tell me step by step how to build a plunger valve using a ball valve? I have looked on here and read some threads, but really need and exact list of supplies including sizes to do it. We are not going to do a hard plumb of everything. We will still be using the 1.5" hoses and nuts.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Welcome!

I can not help as I don't have an Intex but so many people tinker with them, someone will surely be around to give you info!

Hope you enjoy the site!

I'm really aggravated that I have this expensive ultra frame pool from Intex, yet I cannot find a plunger valve for it ! :( On their site they are listed as out of stock. ( over a year now ) It is a,$5.62 part price. Some sites are asking $81.00 & up. Very disappointed with Intex .

I'm really aggravated that I have this expensive ultra frame pool from Intex, yet I cannot find a plunger valve for it ! :( On their site they are listed as out of stock. ( over a year now ) It is a,$5.62 part price. Some sites are asking $81.00 & up. Very disappointed with Intex .

I agree. I searched everywhere and could not find any.

I changed my intex out to 1.5" hayward fittings. I didn't have to cut anything because my holes were actually bigger. I ended up needing bigger gaskets than what came with the hayward fittings. (I made my own with rubber gasket material from lowes. They're ugly but they work!)

I didn't end up adding a ball valve on either side. Instead I bought the 1.5" return plugs that screw into the intake/return. It means I have to reach my arm into the pool to screw them in if I need to close it off...but that's fine with me. I just didn't want to add any more new plumbing connections outside the pool because I couldn't stand the thought of dealing with any leaks I caused.

I should also add that I have a hayward pump and filter and the hoses that came with the setup. I just added a hose fitting on the outside of the intake and return and used regular hose clamps to attach the hoses. Someday I may switch to pvc...if I ever feel up to risking the fun of leak fixing again!

I know I am in the minority... I have NO VALVES on my AG pool. Its been this way for 10 years.

I use one section of vacuum hose to "plug" the skimmer and if I disconnect the return hose, I either plug it or hold on to it with my hand, above the water level.

My pluming is:
Skimmer
6 foot hose
pump
filter
6 foot hose
return fitting
PoolSkim (inside pool)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just converted my summer escapes pool to use an intex sand filter. Had to buy extra parts already and would really like to avoid having to spend upwards of $100 for the two stupid plunger valves.
Can you explain In detail how you "plug" the skimmer with the vacuum hose? I Just have the two hoses-one coming out of the pool into the filter, and the return hose going back into the pool. Do I need a third hose?

I know I am in the minority... I have NO VALVES on my AG pool. Its been this way for 10 years.

I use one section of vacuum hose to "plug" the skimmer and if I disconnect the return hose, I either plug it or hold on to it with my hand, above the water level.

My pluming is:
Skimmer
6 foot hose
pump
filter
6 foot hose
return fitting
PoolSkim (inside pool)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.