Chandler AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I've been lurking around here for a couple months, after finding this wonderful site while researching something for my daughters pool. Decided to give your way a try and went through Pool School in an attempt to make caring for my own pool easier. Received my TF-100 and Speedstir on Wednesday. Finally able to test with it this morning.

Background - Drain and refill almost 2 weeks ago (last time was 3 1/2 years ago). This was after having CYA tested at pool store and also using an old Taylor K-2005 kit. CYA was 120+ in both tests. Also noticed several whitish growths in pool, which I assume were calcium scaling. In any case, drained, power washed waterline (lots of calcium build-up do to evaporation in AZ summers) and removed/power washed whitish growths, refilled. Added some granular CYA (in a sock) - targeted 30, at 25 now). Adjusted TC to 5+ and PH to 7.2 using a basic test kit I also have. Reduced TA a little. Put on solar bubble cover and tested water daily. Waited for the new TF-100 test kit to arrive.

Pool
FC - 7.0
CC - 0.5
PH - 7.4
CH - 300
TA - 110
CYA - 25

Fill Water
FC - 1.0
CC - 0
PH - 7.9
CH - 275
TA - 140

Water is nice and shiny. See my sig for pool spec's. I plan on using bleach for daily use - the Dek-clor and 3" trichlor tabs mainly for times I'm away for a day or more (previously used trichlor tabs exclusively).

I think I'm on track. Would like to get the CH down, but think I'm dreaming there as my fill water is high also. Is CYA high enough, given I will occasionally use trichlor? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Gene

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you are off to a great start :goodjob:

The only suggestion I have is that you are going to want to raise the CYA up closer to 50ppm sooner than later as the sun will quickly be becoming quite intense ... this will lower the amount of bleach you have to add to the pool each day even though the target FC level will be higher.

You can use PoolMath to see that each 8oz tablet of trichlor will add about 4.5ppm of FC and 2.7ppm of CYA. So you just need to decide how many tablets you can use before the CYA gets too high.

Welcome to the forum Gene :wave:

For Arizona I would think you'd want a higher CYA like 40 or maybe even 50 but hopefully some other folks in your area will chime in.

Have you started using bleach yet and if so how much are you using daily ?? Depending on how much your FC is dropping daily you might want to raise that CYA to stabilize the FC.

Thank you all for the welcome! :wave:
The TF-100 test kit and Speedstir are awesome! My wife thinks I'm OCD crazy - :testkit::testkit: - but she still wants a sparkling clear pool to use -

So, if each 8oz tablet raises the CYA by 2.7, 10 tablets used would give me approximately 50 CYA (25 present + 27 added - given water evaporation/refill)? If that's true, I might attempt that route as I'm out of stabilizer and don't really want to buy another 4 pound bucket. The stabilizer I put in 2 weeks ago was left over I got from my neighbor after his recent drain/refill.

I was adding about 16oz a day at first - but haven't added for the last 2 days as the solar blanket is on, so I'm not losing much and want to get FC down to about 4. At first, I think I'd rather chase the FC daily - instead of letting the CYA get too high too soon in the season. Vacation is looming in a couple months and I'll be using trichlor tablets while away.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.