Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How many skimmers?

1. Back To Top    #1

How many skimmers?

I'm building a free form 32x18 IG pool and wondering if a single skimmer would be enough or if I need 2 or 3? I haven't decided on equipment yet. Thanks
    Fort Worth, TX
    Inground gunite 32'x20' freeform salt pool Coping: Flagstone Finish: Undecided Decking: undecided Equipment: All Hayward. 3hp VS pump, largest cartrifge filter, 400k heater Cleaner: undecided robot for sure.
    Start Date: Whenever it stops raining!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many skimmers?

One is enough, two is nice, three is too many.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the cost of adding a second going to be worth it?
    Fort Worth, TX
    Inground gunite 32'x20' freeform salt pool Coping: Flagstone Finish: Undecided Decking: undecided Equipment: All Hayward. 3hp VS pump, largest cartrifge filter, 400k heater Cleaner: undecided robot for sure.

4. Back To Top    #4

That depends on how many leaves fall in the pool and how tight money is. More leaves makes a second skimmer more worth it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Leaves won't be an issue so I think you answered my question. Thanks
    Fort Worth, TX

6. Back To Top    #6

There is something to be said for the redundancy that 2 would provide. I had a suction side leak that required digging out and repairing the line. Was able to block off that skimmer while the work was done and still run the pump/filter since there was a 2nd skimmer. This kept the pool clean and filtered during the repair time.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    22,000 gallon, 20x40 kidney-shape IG plaster pool built in 1986
    Nautilus NS-36 DE filter, Hayward Self Prime Super Pump 1HP
    Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaner, PB4-60 3/4 HP pump

7. Back To Top    #7

i got 2, but i live in So.Calif so Santa Ana winds are CRAZY - pool can go from clear to almost completely covered in an hour. sometimes i wish i had 4! lol! on a normal day 90% of the time, one would be totally enough.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

8. Back To Top    #8

I like the idea of having 2 because our backyard can get pretty windy and although I don't have a lot of leaves I just remembered at certain times of the year my neighbors unkempt trees drop **** all in my yard
    Fort Worth, TX

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jparadise81 View Post
    I like the idea of having 2 because our backyard can get pretty windy and although I don't have a lot of leaves I just remembered at certain times of the year my neighbors unkempt trees drop **** all in my yard
    I have a LOT of trees but surprisingly its not even that bad, most of the time, one skimmer has a little in it and one barely has anything. they both get packed when the trees are dropping leaves and its blowing 40mph outside. mostly pine trees. i had one that was directly behind the pool cut down before we built because those needles are really abundant when they drop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.