Thank you all for this wonderful forum.
To start off with, I was a pool store addict. My wife and I bought a house with a pool, our first pool. This was back in September. we spent around $1500 at Leslie's for the 3 months till December. OUCH. We always heard, add this, this is high, this is low. The sad thing is, the pool was never right. We did not know any better. We are know much better, haven't been to Leslie/s except to buy (pool boy) that is what my wife named the robotic cleaner. Here is my pool story.
1. bought house, pool wasn't clean, the previous owner used some flock to clear it up. we were happy
2. within a week, back to green.
3.Leslie's advice, never helped.
4.didn't want to close the pool till it was clean.
5. leslie's said buy new sand. We did, I went to change it, and found the down pipe was split. Too much for me to do.
6. FOUND THE TROUBLE FREE POOL FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read everything, the school, the chemistry, all post about algee and other posts back from when some of you masters had a first post.
7. Fast forward to April. Starting to get the pool open and ready. Called the home warrenty company and the filter was covered. Bought a Taylor test kit, the wrong one though, K2005, I will get the right one.
8. Bleach for me now.
9. Took a week to get the part in to fix the filter. The pool company recommended pucks and to shock once a week, no thanks. luckily we had pool boy working hard that week.
10. New sand, no broken down pipe, proper pool balance, life is good.
I know y'all like numbers,
PH 7.8 working on lowering to 7.4
CYA 80 working on lowering to 40
And I know you like pictures. This is pool boy sitting in the deep end 81/2 down with total distance from Iphone to him, almost 14 feet.