Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Math - warning....this is for geeks.

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Math - warning....this is for geeks.

Does a SWG make 100% chlorine? Basically, in trying to figure out what to set my SWG% at, i over analyzed this thing to a bizarre level (i like math a little). Of course, i used trial and error but ended up very close to what my math told me.
    Aquapure Salt Water Chlorine Gen
    @100% makes 23.5 grams/hr (per Zodiak)
    23.5g = .83oz / hr (@100%)
    8.3oz of 10% bleach in 13000gallon pool raises chlorine .5ppm/hr
    @35% makes 2.3ppm in 8 hrs.

any math nuts out there? lol! this WHOLE premise is based on whether or not the SWG makes 100% chlorine...but when i run at 35% for 8 hours i maintain a 4ppm pool just right and would be losing about 2ppm chlorine per day, which seems about right.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Math - warning....this is for geeks.

SWG chlorine production ratings are in units of chlorine gas, which is similar to the rather hypothetical 100% bleach, but not quite the same. You can use PoolMath to do most of the calculation for you, as it has a setting for chlorine gas.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SWG Math - warning....this is for geeks.

i had no idea pool math did chlorine gas, nor that chlorine was measured in a SWG as gas. actually, that helps my math a little, but it is pretty dang close. the odd thing to me was, Zodiak told me they couldnt estimate my numbers for me - thats why i did it myself.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.