New to DIY

Apr 5, 2015
Brunswick, GA
Okay, so I bought the K-2006 and this is what I have. Not sure how to lower the CYA which seems off the charts. 12,000 gal plaster pool with auto cholrinator. Water is clear and looks okay, but not "shiny."

FC 4.8
cc .2
pH- 7.6
TA 160
Ca hardness 140
CYA 160

Where do I go from here??? Thanks in advance for all of the great info that I am about to be bombarded with. Just turned down chlorinator from 5 to 1. No swimmers yet as water is still a little chilly. Enough beer and I might jump in.

Cheers!!

Welcome to the forum!

Cya is lowered intentionally by replacing water. If you mean the water is not shiny by being dull or cloudy, you may be on the edge of having an Algae bloom. If you get one with 160 CYA, it will be hard to overcome quickly. High Cya means you need more Free Chlorine to do the job. Start thinking of a plan to remove, and replace water ASAP.

Welcome to TFP! Good first post, sig, location and test kit! You're off to a great start. Let the bombardment begin.

First, you need to check th Chlorine CYA Chart to make sure you keep enough chlorine to prevent algae until you lower the CYA level. As Patrick says, the only way to do that is to drain some water and refill. You will need to drain about half the water to get the CYA to 80.

Since you have SWCG you want your water to be Water Balance for SWCGs

After you get all that memorized you will be on your way. :-D Also, you should add to your sig that you have SWCG for future reference.

Well, hey, I just went to look at the chlorine/CYA chart to see how much chlorine you might need at 160 and it doesn't go that high. :) Now what? I'm thinking you should keep it at least above 10.

Welcome to the forum tillerstick :wave:

Pooldv - where does he say he has a SWCG ??

IF you had a SWCG you'd be shooting for a CYA of 70-80. I see chlorinator so I'm guessing you should be 30-50.

The bad news is that chlorinator of yours. If you've been feeding it tablets that's why your CYA is through the roof. You need to quit with those and replace 75% of your water to get down to a manageable 40ppm CYA level. That's starting at 160 and going for a target of 40.

You will likely want to do that water dump in two smaller parts as 75% all at once is a bit harsh. Once you have the CYA lowered you can adjust pH and then SLAM it to clean up the water and get your "sparkle" back ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to explain the chlorinator. It gives your pool daily chlorine (FC) and CYA. The chlorine the pool uses up daily so as the tablets dissolve you need to add more but the CYA doesn't get used up and with each tablet the CYA keeps going up and up. With bleach you are adding only the FC the pool needs to keep itself clean and your CYA stays at whatever level you have.

Welcome to the forum tillerstick :wave:

Pooldv - where does he say he has a SWCG ??

IF you had a SWCG you'd be shooting for a CYA of 70-80. I see chlorinator so I'm guessing you should be 30-50.

The bad news is that chlorinator of yours. If you've been feeding it tablets that's why your CYA is through the roof. You need to quit with those and replace 75% of your water to get down to a manageable 40ppm CYA level. That's starting at 160 and going for a target of 40.

You will likely want to do that water dump in two smaller parts as 75% all at once is a bit harsh. Once you have the CYA lowered you can adjust pH and then SLAM it to clean up the water and get your "sparkle" back ;)

That is my bad, read chlorinator and went down the assumption rathole.

Sorry for the confusion. Allow me to redeem myself.

If you are using pucks in a chlorinator then stop! :) This is why your CYA is so high.

Read this How to Chlorinate Your Pool

For the time being you should use bleach to chlorinate your pool to avoid an algae bloom and keep the chlorine level above 12 until you can can drain and refill to reduce your CYA to 40.

PoolMath can help you calculate how much bleach to use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.