Thread: To Foam or Sand new install

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

To Foam or Sand new install

So, I just came from lowes and they have Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation

1/4 inch foam 4x50 foot for 45 dollars : 4 would be 180
    1/2 inch foam 4'x8' foot for 10 dollars : 20 would be 200
    3/4 inch foam 4x8 foot for 12 dollars : 20 would be 240
    DuPont Tyvek Tape to connect 0.167-ft x 164-ft 14 dollars x 4 rolls = 60 dollars

Average for foam would be 260 dollars, is it better to go with the thicker foam?

I can get 10 ton of sand delivered for 200

I will be putting Aromor shield above both no matter which one I go with...

Is the sand better to let the condensation out from under the pool?
    Have there been any mold or other issues with the foam that anyone has seen?

I am liking the foam for not being able to wash out but is there a good reason to go with sand?? I am getting the foam cove so that will not be a factor..

Opinions wanted..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To Foam or Sand new install

Foam seems to be preferred in just about every way, but costs more. Sand is certainly tricker to work with during the initial install. It can also wash out later, causing problems. Sand is a little more forgiving of minor deviations from level, so you need to put a little more work into ground prep with foam.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

hmmmmmmm,

sounds like 3/8 fines compacted, then sand to level, then foam, then armor shield and foam coves......

Ahhhhh, the perfect bottom
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

I would skip the sand, use crusher run as your base and to level all the poles. Then lay down the foam, tape the seams, tarp on top of that and setup the pool.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Thanks Joe, I was wondering if the sand was really needed at all...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Thanks Joe, I was wondering if the sand was really needed at all...
    This is what I did, I am sure some would still say to use sand, but it is your choice. I like the crusher and the feel of the foam under foot.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

7. Back To Top    #7

I am redoing mine right now and will be using thin layer of sand, then 1" foam, then gorilla pad..........After 3 years of sand, I decided to tear it all up since voles were digging tunnels in it last year. I took the 4" of sand out, leveled out the ground again, and am installing blocks for the legs, then doing about 1/2" sand, 1" foam, and then the pad.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.