How can you tell if your sand filter is low on sand?

You probably have already done this but make sure you check the bleed off line/screen from the small hose up to the top of your difuser. Also check your lateral hub assembly I replaced mine along with the 8 laterals / the removed originals looked good. So far so good with our filter today no sand pooling under the returns like it was doing before.

For what it's worth, replacing the lateral assembly did fix my leaking sand issue. I'm surprised there can really be another root cause for that? That's really the only part that holds the filter sand back from entering the pool.

I still haven't received a reply from Hayward regarding best practices on the amount of filter sand to use. I'm surprised this question is this hard to answer. :(

OK just as an FYI, I did get a response from Hayward. They said as long as long as my clean pressure looks good, I don't have to vacuum out the excess 150 lbs of sand.

So it seems to me that these filters are "oversized" a bit and can deal with a range of filter sand as opposed to a single stated amount. I just don't think they need to run half empty with over 12" of clearance for circulation. So I guess if you are a PB you can shave cost and use the minimum amount, but if you are a do-it-yourself homeowner you can overload these filters and get better filtration without much if any loss of flow rate. They really should revise those manuals and provide better clarification here.

In my S180T it is a bit over half, but no way close to the top large diameter. Both times, first when I bought it and filled it with the sand that came with it, and the second was a year ago when I replaced it after 7 years.

Hello, I'm reviving a old thread. Today I opened my Pentair Tritton II TA60 for the first time ever and found the center filter tower had been left at a angle and the filter was only about half full of sand. This is my 3rd year as a pool owner, (it came with the house) and this site has been great. Overall I have had no problems but last year the water did seem a little cloudy and I wanted to try to deep clean the filter before opening this year. The sand looks pretty clean but I want to clean it and add additional sand the raise the level but would prefer not to empty it and add all new sand. Does this sound reasonable?

Hello everyone,

I opened my sand filter up for the first time after four years of having it, to do a deep clean. The sand looked very clean to begin with and rinsing didn't really wash up anything either so I guess we are ok.
However, the level of sand is what I would describe as a little less than half full. Is that normal? I never looked into one before so I have no idea what it should look like and was wondering if we lost sand over the years?
If so, can I buy a bag and just top it off?

Thank you
And a sparkling pool season to all
I would add sand to approximately 6" below the top of the standpipe. My Hayward Manual for a Pro Series S244T, on page 3, item 3d states,
"d. Carefully pour in correct amount and grade of filter sand, as specified on Table 1. (Be sure center pipe remains centered in opening). Sand surface should be leveled and should come to within 6" of the top of the filter tank. Remove sand shield from internal pipe."
I'm topping mine off this year too but will remove approximately 0.25" from the surface as it will usually contain the most degraded (lighter) sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.