Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Considering VS pump: need SVRS?

1. Back To Top    #1

Considering VS pump: need SVRS?

My pump died. ::moment of silence::

Near its death, I had been running it way too much just to best maintain FC (lot of leaves/organics, lots of sun and high water temp) and the electric bill was out of control. So, I'm biting the bullet and investing in VS - figure I'll get the cost back in electric savings.

So now I see the Pentair 011018 vs. 011017, and the difference seems to be the "safety vacuum release system". Do i need to get that (i.e., pay $300 more)? Drain blockage has never been an issue, the only suction problem I have every so often is if the water level dips near the bottom of the skimmer - that gets counteracted by opening up the main drain a bit.

As in the past, feedback here has been great, so looking for some again. Thanks in advance!
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1½ HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Considering VS pump: need SVRS?

If you have two main drain openings you do not need it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

You should avoid the SVRS version unless you are required to have a SVRS. Usually that only happens when you have a single drain, rather than a dual drain.

By the by, in Florida you will have a lower total lifetime cost if you get an appropriately sized two speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I looked at the two speed and my impression was that that the high speed was too high.
    Maybe I should rethink that. Would help if you give me some guidance to what "appropriately sized" means to you.
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

5. Back To Top    #5

A single or two speed pump needs to be sized appropriately to run the spa jets with the appropriate amount of jet action. In this case, if your existing pump works well with the spa then you will want to have a two speed where high speed is about the same as your current single speed. Then you run the spa on high speed, and the pool on low speed. Pools don't need very much for circulation, and low speed will be around right.

A variable speed lets you optimize both the spa and pool speeds a little more finely, but the additional savings won't pay for the additional up front cost of the variable speed over the life of the pump unless your electric rates are a fair bit higher then is typical for Florida.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Like Jason said, if you existing pump works well for the spa ... then I would just replace the motor on your existing (3 year old) pump with a 2-speed version. Add a manual toggle switch and leave it on low speed all the time except for when you your the spa.

That is only going to be around 1/3 the cost of the Intelliflo.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I knew that (as always) I'd get some spot-on advise here.

So, if my 1½HP was good enough for spa (it was), just need to find a 1½ (hi) xx (lo) motor.

Recommendations? I'll be off to search after 4/15 (can't come quickly enough!).

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

The Pentair SuperFlo is a good pump, and comes in two speed versions.

9. Back To Top    #9

One other consideration ... Is your current pump wired for 115V or 230V? The 2-speed motors are usually only available in 230V versions.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Darn good question on 115/230... I guess I should start there.