Will this kit get me going?

Mario P

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2014
Rio Rancho, NM
We're getting close to being done with construction of our 16'x40' fiberglass pool.

As this is the first pool I've ever owned, I want to get off to a good start.

Here is what I have in my shopping cart to take advantage of the $10 off TFP discount as well as free S/H:
Item Name Price
SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer $35.95
XL Option $15.00
TF-100 Test Kit $68.00

I have no idea how often I will be testing the pool, how much chemicals I'll use or how long it will last.
I would like to have enough for at least one season.

I have not submitted the order, so if there are things to add/delete or update QTY, I'm all ears.

BTW, how do I take advantage of the $10 off? Do I sign up here first?

Yes, you have to become a supporter, and they will give you a coupon for 10 off.

That kit is fantastic for all your needs, and it should easily last you through this season, and much of the next.

Click here to become a supporter...Supporter

Yes, you have to become a supporter, and they will give you a coupon for 10 off.

That kit is fantastic for all your needs, and it should easily last you through this season, and much of the next.

Click here to become a supporter...Supporter

Patrick, are those the correct items to get? Should I order more/less of anything to take advantage of the free S/H?

Also, I'm on a well and I don't have an issue with hard water or iron that I know of, but should I order something to confirm?
I would think that running water that is used for cooking, cleaning and it dumped into the drain/toilet is different than pool water that's there to stay (except evaporation and splash-outs), so if there is something else I should be testing, I would like to get it done.

Those 3 are the most important items, but if you are looking to spend money ... :D

The glycerin filled filter gauges are really nice and with free shipping cost the same as the typical junk you would find locally.

How do you draw the sample?
Does everyone pretty much reach into the pool like I've seen on the demo videos?

Has anyone ever tried to draw water from a tee installed by the equipment with a small shutoff valve?
At work we have inline pipe tee sampler for chemical analysis.

The plumbing tends to draw from the skimmer, which is puling in water from the very top surface of the pool. For testing water from an outdoor pool you want water from 8" to 14" down, not from the surface.

I half fill a square bottle from the pool by reading in, then use that to fill the individual test vials as I run through the tests.

And if you still have money burning a hole in your pocket, a SampleSizer speeds up your testing.....

What does it actually do?

- - - Updated - - -

Those 3 are the most important items, but if you are looking to spend money ... :D

The glycerin filled filter gauges are really nice and with free shipping cost the same as the typical junk you would find locally.

Is the OEM that unreliable? I haven't gotten the equipment installed yet; how much error can I expect from the factory installed gauge?
The cost of the item you recommend is minimal, I'm just trying to figure out if this is something I'm going to need from day one or 3-5 years after initial installation?

- - - Updated - - -

Why do my replays combine?
I've noticed that several times already.
Is there a setting or flag that I can change to not do that? It's annoying to see two separate replays combined as one.

The plumbing tends to draw from the skimmer, which is puling in water from the very top surface of the pool. For testing water from an outdoor pool you want water from 8" to 14" down, not from the surface.

I half fill a square bottle from the pool by reading in, then use that to fill the individual test vials as I run through the tests.

That makes sense; thanks.

I do not have the sample sizer, but basically you fill your tube (must be a Taylor tube which is different than the tftestkits tubes) with water and then shove this thing in it which displaces water and when you remove it, you have the 10ml or 25ml sample ... same every time.

The OEM gauges are cheap so they can fail after a few years. Plus they usually go from 0-60psi which is not needed. The tftestkits gauges are a little bigger and only go from 0-30psi so it is much easier to see a pressure difference.

The software automatically combines your replies if you make them in a short period of time. I used to not like it either, but now I kind of prefer it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You replies combining is a timing issue sort of. If you post back quickly, the software combines them as if you were editing the original. Not sure of the exact particulars, but that's the meat of it.

I have the sample sizer and I like it. It absolutely a bell and whistle, but it's functional and makes sampling very fast and easy with no effort. I don't need it, but I love it actually.

The items you have listed are fine. Probably late getting back on this now, but that's perfect. You will love the speedstir.

You will love the SpeedStir :goodjob:

I noticed you have a chlorinator in your equipment list. I'm trying not to say doomed and ill fated chlorinator :shock: as they are often the cause of someone using way too many chlorine tablets and going crazy high on CYA. Is it for times when you're away only or did you intend to use tablets routinely ??

This is a Sample Sizer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Rv6Oanz8I

I do not have the sample sizer, but basically you fill your tube (must be a Taylor tube which is different than the tftestkits tubes) with water and then shove this thing in it which displaces water and when you remove it, you have the 10ml or 25ml sample ... same every time.
The sample sizer works with the tube that comes with the Speed Stir.

You need one Jason.

You will love the SpeedStir :goodjob:

I noticed you have a chlorinator in your equipment list. I'm trying not to say doomed and ill fated chlorinator :shock: as they are often the cause of someone using way too many chlorine tablets and going crazy high on CYA. Is it for times when you're away only or did you intend to use tablets routinely ??

This is a Sample Sizer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Rv6Oanz8I

Thanks for the explanation.
This is another example of you don't know what you don't know -- in this case I don't know what I don't know.
I had no idea that I would have to flicker the extra water out. I figured I would use a syringe or a bottle with a tip, like the reusable water bottles.
Based on what I saw in the video you provided, I'm definitely ordering this gizmo

Who slaves over a sink with pool tests? ;)
I do it pool side and just let it spill out onto the grass. Wham, bang, done. SWEET! :D
Much prettier outside too.
Best purchase I forced myself to make. Keeps my sanity. HEHE

The syringe is a good idea though. In fact, why not just use a syringe to fill from the get go, then you get the exact amount right away?

My only complaint is that Taylor didn't etch the logo and markings into the anodized billet, instead they silk screened them so it started wearing of a little, right quick, just from being in the TF100 box. So I put it on a bed of a folded paper towel, and I gently dab the sides down instead of wiping it vigorously. As I think that actually had the most to do with it getting wear.
I want it to stay looking new. ;)

I setup a friend with this forum's superior testing and treatment method last summer, I didn't even give him the option of not having a SpeedStir and a SampleSizer.. I didn't regret it, neither does he. :D

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm just posting the vid so you know what it is. I use a wash bottle like Jblizzle. Bought a set of three cheap on ebay.

Attachments

• water-bottle-950.jpg
    water-bottle-950.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 20
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.