Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quartzscapes - Do you have it? Do you like it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Quartzscapes - Do you have it? Do you like it?

We are rapidly approaching the plaster phase and need to make a final decision on plaster asap (we're doing owner builder so this decision wasn't made at the beginning). Neither my husband or I like the feel of peppletec (too bumpy) or the look in shallow water. So we were originally thinking we'd do standard plaster. But recently we heard about Quartzscapes (and confirmed that the sub we have contracted for plaster does quartzscapes) and it seems like the perfect middle ground for us -- smooth finish with a more uniform look like plaster. But with some of the added strength of pebbletec.

Anyone on the fourm have Quartzscapes finish? Do you like it? How is the texture? Is the color even? We're thinking of going fairly dark grey. Anyone have any pictures to share?

Thanks!

- Melissa
    Nearing completion on (owner/builder) 30k gallon pool.
    37 1/2 by 20 rectangle. Raised bond beam with custom water feature.
    Mazzara glass tile. Bellecrete coping. Quartzscapes finish.
    Pentair DE Filter with easy touch

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quartzscapes - Do you have it? Do you like it?

No, but I have a very good Quartz, and if yours is installed correctly it will look nice. Brand/color choice has everything to do with installation, and extremely little else.

Darker colors tend to streak and mottle more than lighter ones, and none will be 100% perfect. Quartzscapes is an excellent product, and done well, it will last for many years, so be sure of the color of water you want. Quartz is in my opinion the perfect answer to Pebble and plain Plaster. Smoother than pebble, more durable than plain marble plaster.

As for pictures, any that are put in with the same hue/shade of Grey will look so close to yours it wont matter. Surroundings play a huge role in the final appearance as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Some pictures of our Quartzscapes in Aruba Sky blue. The texture is pretty smooth feeling. The quartz will show up more in some areas than others because of the mixing. I realized too late that our plaster crew did not do a good job of keeping the color more even when applying the plaster. We are cool with it because it almost gives the plaster a marble look to it. The other plus is in 10 years or so you will have to acid wash the Quartzscapes and you'll be good to go for another 10 years and not replastering your pool.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    No, but I have a very good Quartz, and if yours is installed correctly it will look nice. Brand/color choice has everything to do with installation, and extremely little else.

Darker colors tend to streak and mottle more than lighter ones, and none will be 100% perfect. Quartzscapes is an excellent product, and done well, it will last for many years, so be sure of the color of water you want. Quartz is in my opinion the perfect answer to Pebble and plain Plaster. Smoother than pebble, more durable than plain marble plaster.

As for pictures, any that are put in with the same hue/shade of Grey will look so close to yours it wont matter. Surroundings play a huge role in the final appearance as well.
    Patrick - Thanks for your reply. I like the sound of smoother than pebble but stronger than plain plaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jojoman View Post

Some pictures of our Quartzscapes in Aruba Sky blue. The texture is pretty smooth feeling. The quartz will show up more in some areas than others because of the mixing. I realized too late that our plaster crew did not do a good job of keeping the color more even when applying the plaster. We are cool with it because it almost gives the plaster a marble look to it. The other plus is in 10 years or so you will have to acid wash the Quartzscapes and you'll be good to go for another 10 years and not replastering your pool.
    Your water looks beautiful (as does the rest of your pool). So refreshing. I couldn't find the uneven spots in the photos. It looks perfect. It's really good to hear that it has a smooth feeling. So hard to tell from the sample! And the 10 year acid was and good as new sounds like a major plus as well. Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree, whoever put this one in did a pretty darn nice job. Get the Quartz Melissa, you'll love it. We love ours, and the texture is much better than Pebbles I've been in.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

More pics on my build thread but thought I would finish this up. We did go with Quartzscapes. The color we went with was a custom mix that was closest to Anvil. We wanted dark and we got it.

Close-up after acid wash and polish

Filling

Full

In use

7. Back To Top    #7

Dog approved!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

So nice of you to update your thread with the finished pictures! It makes research so much easier. Your dog matches your surface and tiles!
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you so much for sharing your process. We are about to choose our finish and we are leaning toward the Quartzcape Commercial White. Our installer was recommending a polish and acid wash to smooth the surface even more. Did you do that with your finish?

10. Back To Top    #10

I have quartzscapes Barbados blue in love it.

17x 30 rectangular pool 17x5 splash pad, with rasied spa 6x5 with spillover built October 2015. Quartzscapes Barbados blue finish. Jandy 1.5 horsepower 2 speed pump. Jandy aquapure SWG. Gulfstream heat pump with chiller. Great White vacuum. T-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Beautiful pool! Love the tile choices for the water edge and the wall. Do you happen to know the brand/name? We are choosing our plaster and tile now and this really helps, thanks!
    12,000 gallon SWG - IG Medium grey plaster - Water Sheets, Spillover Spa and 28ft x 4 ft tanning ledge
    Hayward High Rate Sand Filter - ProSeries - 2 pumps - 1 variable speed, 1 two speed
    Hayward Heater - Hayward Pro Logic Automated Digital System with wireless remote
    Pool build June 18, 2016 - TF-100 Test Kit with Speedstir - Hayward SharkVac

12. Back To Top    #12

I also went with Aruba Sky in the reflective series (I think they add glass). They are plastering today. I'll add pictures

13. Back To Top    #13

Theo, what a cool design, perfect with the dark plaster!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Would love to see your pictures with the reflective series! We are trying to decide between the Caribbean Series Aruba Sky vs the Reflection Series Aruba Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcologgi View Post
    Beautiful pool! Love the tile choices for the water edge and the wall. Do you happen to know the brand/name? We are choosing our plaster and tile now and this really helps, thanks!
    - - - Updated - - -

Is this Aruba Sky the Caribbean Series one or the Reflection Series one?

Quote Originally Posted by jojoman View Post

15. Back To Top    #15

We went with Quartzscapes Reflections series with Aruba Sky and a 3 bag mix of the reflective additives. We love the color and look of the pool.

16. Back To Top    #16

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. That is the regular Caribbean Series Aruba Sky, I don't remember the Reflection Series Aruba Sky being an option when we made our pick for plaster. Sounds neat, hope you put some pictures up of it.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

17. Back To Top    #17

I would love to see pictures! So many PB's want us to go with Pebbletech and I'm just not a fan. I do not like rough at all.

18. Back To Top    #18

I will be taking pictures this weekend... fence is finished, the chemicals are balanced and we should have good weather.

Quote Originally Posted by lmhardgrave View Post
    I would love to see pictures! So many PB's want us to go with Pebbletech and I'm just not a fan. I do not like rough at all.

19. Back To Top    #19

Love the finish and colors. Your pool is a similar size to the one I am planning. How many lights do you have and where are they placed?
    planning summer 2017 15Kgal 15x30 rectangle IG pebble Jandy proseries DE filter, Flowpro pump (1.5 hp) Aquapure-salt, 3 2" sheer decent WF, 8X5 sunshelf

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by lmhardgrave View Post
    Pics are in... check out my build thread!