Eyeballs

carlp

Apr 8, 2015
Los Gatos, CA
Hi All,
I have 2x returns in the pool, and one in the spa. They appear to be PVC pipe that was cut roughly to where the finished pebble surface would be. The pebble is covering the outsides of the pipe, and comes around the front of the pipe a little in some places. They are 1" Schedule 40 PVC.

Both pool returns and the skimmer are in the deep end, and this is a kidney pool with the spa in the narrow part. I think it will be hard to get a good rotation of water flow going to make the skimmer work better, but I'd like to try.

I can only get access to the inner diameter of the pipe, without chipping away pebbletec. This means I would need to either:
A. try to find an eyeball that attaches to the inner diameter of a 1" pipe
B. Use a little length of 3/4" pipe and glue it into the inner diameter of the 1" pipe (i would need to sand it a bit), and then attach an eyeball to that.
Unfortunately, either of these will restrict the flow down to be more like a 3/4" pipe. I feel that 1" returns are already too small (and therefore too much flow restriction) for an efficient pumping system.

Or I could consider:
C. Try to get access to the OD of the pipe by removing some pebbletec around the pipe. I don't look forward to this.

I also don't see a way I'm going to be able to do this without draining the pool below the returns -- Considering I'm in California drought country, I suspect I'm going to have to wait until the fall rainy season to feel ok about wasting that much water.

Any great ideas?

You could find something that will glue into themselves you have to give you a threaded fitting for an eyeball I'm sure. The hole in mine it's much bigger than 3/4", so I'd say don't worry about the restriction at the actual eyeball. It will give you more velocity out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

Any experience with this? It seems crazy to think I could cement PVC underwater.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Rain-R-Shine-16-oz-PVC-Cement-308933/100342516

2d07956c-a344-43aa-8f86-70c3769ab4cf_400.jpg

oooh or this?

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/...01327/8885p1?gclid=CK3LztWB68QCFdKIfgod24UAHQ

8885_0_20153127496.jpg

Rain-R-Shine is not applicable underwater and will fail if you use it underwater. It does however work in moist conditions and will hold underwater after enough set time. All pool piping underground in Florida is required to use this type of cement, it's in the building code. Never used the epoxy you listed but could work as long as it's strength can withstand the head pressure the fittings will be under from the returning water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.