Lock knob on filter stripped

geg84

Apr 9, 2015
las vegas, nv
Hello people,

I'm new here, just started trying to do the pool myself this year... Got my chemicals under control, but now the lock knob on the top of the filter just stripped and is stuck on my filter. The knob just turns around forever and the top of the filter case is just as stuck as if it were screwed in all the way.

I can't get the picture to upload, but it is a Blue Haven Pool 190 series cartridge, model C17502SBH. I tried searching the model number in google and came up with this http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wimages/product_image/starclearplus-1.jpg?500x500 I am guessing Hayward may own Blue Haven Pools? Not exactly the same, but pretty close. The lock knob looks the same.

Anyone have any idea how to get the lock knob and the top of the filter off?

Thanks

If you're able to spin the knob freely and it doesn't lift the lid off the lower body than either the knob is in fact stripped or the knob is so tight on the threaded rod that the bottom of the threaded rod has stripped out the brass sleeve in the bottom half of the canister. If the knob alone is stripped then with enough upward pull, like really hard upward pull, while you rotate the knob counter clockwise should back it off the rod. Also, if the rod has stripped out the sleeve at the bottom of the canister, your going to have to pry the lid off with a big flatheat screw driver taking care not to damage the canister halves to much. Often times the stainless c-clamp that holds the locking knob to the top half of the canister will erode away and the handle will pull itself out of the lid while you pull and turn counterclockwise. It takes a good deal of yank to get it but it should come loose one of these ways. Hope this helps.

Thank's for the reply. Should I be able to feel it "grab" or anything when I am pulling the knob up and turning? The knob itself spins and after I think it would normally lift the cover off (if it were working right), the knob itself lifts up around an inch from the top of the filter cover. Given this, it sounds like the C-clamp corroded off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.