Silica sand

Sand filter question

I recently bought a house with an 8 year old in ground liner pool that is 40X20. When I ask the previous owner if he had changed the filter sand he didn't know or couldn't remember!? So I would like to change it I guess mainly to start fresh and keep track of it. The filter is a Ranger and I believe it is 25" since that is what it measures across as well as up and down. What sand should I use and is there a difference in silica sand. I am all about trouble free since I am an airline pilot and am gone several days at a time. Thanks

Re: Sand filter question

Thanks for the quick replies! I should have mentioned that I got bored and couldn't sleep last night so I took a shop vac and sucked out the filter! I'm just weird like that! Wasn't that bad but definitely should have tried the deep clean first! So I started googling "pool filter sand" and most all say "sand" not "silica". I was looking at the Aqua Quartz because it specifically says #20 Silica but I also saw Quikrete and HTH but both say SAND not Silica. Hope that makes since and you can see why the confusion.

Re: Sand filter question

Welcome to the forum Flyinokra :wave:

"Sand" is mostly silica. For all practical purposes in relation to a pool filter you can use either term. Too bad you couldn't sleep as it could have saved you the trouble and expense. Doing that deep clean does help restore a filters performance considerably. I just learned about it and did the first last year. Will be doing it again as I just got tired of rinsing it and kept getting stuff floating up out of it so finally stopped and buttoned it up !! This year I'll be more through as I won't have as much stuff in there to get out ;)

Please add your pool and equipment info into your signature as outlined here - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.