Dark Green Water

Sallie

May 16, 2008
Columbia, SC
Last summer our pump broke at the end of the season, ordered new one and hubby plans to install this week-end. We did lower the water below the skimmer and returns before winter. The pool water is dark green. I've been through this before. I went through SO MANY bottles of bleach before my problem was corrected. I'm just wondering if it would be easier to just take a lot of the water out of the pool. Does anyone suggest this? And if so, how much can I lower it? Pool guy once said that if you lowered the water in a vinyl pool too much, that it could pop out. (I don't think those were his exact words.)

I do know the routine, have a good test kit, etc., but I was just wondering if getting rid of all that green water would be easier. I think I know the answer.

I'm just wondering if it would be easier to just take a lot of the water out of the pool.
The biggest problem with that is the algae simply grows back almost immediately. You need to SLAM the pool and then maintain FC levels high enough so you don't get recurrences.

Okay, so I think everyone agrees that I shouldn't lower the level of water.

1. Going to check CYA in a bit. I think I have some, just probably low. If I need to raise it, would I do that first? I know it usually says on the bottle to run pump continuously and not backwash for a certain period of time, but it's so gunky, will I be able to not backwash during the period it says?
2. Would I adjust ph before CYA or after?
3. Where do I go on here to change my password? I'm having lots of computer issues, phone issues, just trying to deal with a lot...There was a link when I had to have my password re-set, and I should have been able to follow that to change it, but my stupid computer wouldn't let me go there.
4. Also, what do I adjust to make sure I'm notified when someone responds to a post of mine? I had several replies but had not been notified as I have in the past.
5. Thanks for all the help. I know this is a process, just need someone to hold my hand and get me started in the right direction.

Okay, so I think everyone agrees that I shouldn't lower the level of water.

1. Going to check CYA in a bit. I think I have some, just probably low. If I need to raise it, would I do that first? I know it usually says on the bottle to run pump continuously and not backwash for a certain period of time, but it's so gunky, will I be able to not backwash during the period it says?
You want CYA to be about 30 for the SLAM. If you need to raise it, pour the granules in a sock or nylon and tie it off and then set it in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return. If you just pour the granules into the skimmer, they'll end up in the filter, and you'll backwash it all away.
2. Would I adjust ph before CYA or after?
Simultaneously. The CYA will take a few days to dissolve.
3. Where do I go on here to change my password? I'm having lots of computer issues, phone issues, just trying to deal with a lot...There was a link when I had to have my password re-set, and I should have been able to follow that to change it, but my stupid computer wouldn't let me go there.
4. Also, what do I adjust to make sure I'm notified when someone responds to a post of mine? I had several replies but had not been notified as I have in the past.
Right below
PoolSchool-MouseOver.png
where it says "Settings". Click that. When that page opens, look at the left sidebar.
5. Thanks for all the help. I know this is a process, just need someone to hold my hand and get me started in the right direction.
Reread the SLAM instructions and follow it. It's pretty simple, just time-consuming. Adjust pH. While that is mixing, mess with the CYA. By then the pH should be right and you start adding bleach to get it to the right FC level for your CYA. If you needed to raise it, assume it's all dissolved and base the FC on your targeted CYA. Just keep brushing and keep the FC level up. The more consistent you are about that, the faster it will go. Backwash when the pressure rises 25% and get as much organic debris out as you can, either by vacuuming or with a leaf rake - a pool leaf rake, not the garden variety. And post pictures. We like green-to-clean photos.

Some inspirational threads can be found here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.