Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cost of filling in/removing a spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost of filling in/removing a spa

What costs can/should I expect when I want to fill in my spa? We won't ever buy a heater for it (original one was dead when we bought the house) and it is only giving me troubles anyways (plaster in bad condition, greening up much faster than the pool, would want a couch there etc, etc).

Specifically I would like to know what it should cost in the Phoenix, AZ area.

TIA!
    30-35K gal, IG plaster, 1hp single speed pump, 48 sqft DE-filter PAC-FAB NS-48 (96GPM flow rate), spa, currently no heater installed, Barracuda G2

I am new to pools so please don't hesitate to give me advice and tips, both highly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cost of filling in/removing a spa

Impossible to say ... depends on what you actually want done. Pretty cheap to cut and cap the plumbing running to the spa and then dump some dirt in it, but that may not be what you have in mind.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Unless you're sure you're going to be there for a long time if the spa is in good shape you could leave it as is. Might be the next owner would be happy to have it and can pick their own heater or heat pump to use it.

You should post some photos of the layout of the spa to the pool.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The spa should not be greening up fast than the pool. Are they run off the same pump so that the water mixes?

If you are seeing green, then you are not maintaining adequate chlorine levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!