Intelliflo VF 011012 vs. VS 011012

Mario P

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2014
Rio Rancho, NM
MY PB is supplying VS pump and when I brought up the VF, he didn't even know it existed.
He talked to his rep and stated that he believes that I would be much happier with VS pump.
He also told me that the VF is an older design, and that since the VS came out, Pentair sells mostly VS pumps.

I talked to TechSupport today and was told that there were some limitations to VF such as:
1. If adding/using solar panels, the additional head will screw with VF logic and shut the pump down.
2. If pressure on the filter goes up 10PSI from initial setting, the pump will shut down. BTW, I'm OK with that as that's a good reminder to clean the filter.
3. The schedule/configuration/adjustments are more involved/complicated in VF pump, whereas in VS is a simple timers/schedules/RPM settings.

To the last point, I will be using IntelliTouch, with data bus, which I'm told by TS will put the pump's programs and LED in an 'Inactive' state and all the programming will be done thru IntelliTouch and SL2, or in my case the Autelis.

With all that said, can Autelis do all the programming that's involved in VF configuration?

Having never owned a pool and never be exposed to any of the equipment (hardware and software), I wanted what I thought was a more logical solution, which in my mind is to control pools gallons moved per minute/hour/day.
I don't think I care that the pump is running at 1000RPM vs. 1100RPM as long as it moves the amount of water to accomplish the x# of changeovers per day.

I understand that there are tables and conversion charts to calculate RPM into GPM, but why would one choose to do it when there is a solution that gives you volume right out of the gate, AND can compensate for variables such as clogging filter.

What would/did you do and what drove your decision?
I'm not that concerned about the price delta if the VF pump gives me more reliable results in maintaining consistent flow to my water shooters, slide, etc.

I would not recommend the VF pump and stick with the VS version. One reason being that as the filter gets dirty, it will automatically increase speed to maintain flow rate and that uses a LOT more electricity. So if you are not paying attention, you could get a larger electric bill.

Some of those limitation you mention seem almost about the SVRS pumps though.

I do not know about your programming questions.

BUT, you mentioned "turnovers" and we have come to learn that they are completely meaningless in residential pools. Read: Determine Pump Run Time
Related, there is hardly ever a need to know the flow rate, and calculating the flow rate vs. RPM is not trivial as it is different for every pool.

Connecting the pump to automation will disable the LCD and the control buttons on the pump. The pump should be controlled and programmed through the automation system.

I am a big fan of my Pentair VS pump, it is highly functional, quiet, efficient and cheap to run.

I appreciate the feedback and I'm not trying to question or disagree with your statements -- after all, I did ask the question to get educated.
I'm surprised to hear that since everything that we do has to do in gallons per hour which is VF.
Using the conversion chart is an estimate at best as pipe resistance, filter pass through, valve positions, etc. will all have an impact on the actual value.

Using VS and it's RPM readout is akin to using tachometer on your car to estimate the speed (MPH).
The only use for RPM that I have found is on my tractor where power output is more important than speed.

I do appreciate the fact that energy costs are a factor; would/could the RPM change on the VF pump be significant enough to show up on the electrical bill?
Are we talking about maintaining the flow from say 1000RPM when filter is brand new to 1100RPM when it's dirty, or more like 1800?

Connecting the pump to automation will disable the LCD and the control buttons on the pump. The pump should be controlled and programmed through the automation system.

I am a big fan of my Pentair VS pump, it is highly functional, quiet, efficient and cheap to run.

Are you a big fan of Pentair pump, or specifically VS vs. VF and why?
They are the same pumps, so efficiency, quietness, etc. is the same on both.
I'm tying to made a decision and need help in deciding which IntelliFlow pump to get.

Knowledge of flow rate really doesn't do you much good. Forget whatever you learned about turnovers and flow rate because they have little to do with keeping a pool sanitized and clean (see pool school). So if you don't need to know the flow rate, there is no need for a VF.

Plus a VF tries to maintain constant flow rate which can cause issues under certain conditions. As your filter gets dirty, the head loss increases and the flow rate naturally decreases so the VF tries to keep this constant but that is very inefficient and can actually cause damage to the filter, especially cartridge filters which can collapse under high pressure differentials. You are much better off having the flow rate decrease when the filter gets dirty.

Are you a big fan of Pentair pump, or specifically VS vs. VF and why?
They are the same pumps, so efficiency, quietness, etc. is the same on both.
I'm tying to made a decision and need help in deciding which IntelliFlow pump to get.

I am a big fan of my Pentair VS pump. No experience with a VF pump.

It is difficult not to OCD over a pool build, it is lots of money and pretty permanent. Lots of people here agree that you will be very happy with that pump. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can compromise. I went through the same thought process. I put in the VS 011018 pump and added a flow meter. Best of both. Pump control is by speed, but I can always check the flow rate.

I did the same... Vs plus a flow meter. I have been caught a few times.... Being an energy natzi , I set the filter and solar speeds close to their minimum operating speeds when the filters were relatively fresh. (I have an easy touch). I have gone away for a few days and come back to algae blooms since the flow rate dropped below the chlorinator's minimum flow spec and didn't turn on... Same with solar, so I can see an advantage to having the vf operating up to some pressure differential. I guess if the choice was a green pool or a nuked $900 pump or collapsed cartridges, green pool wins. I have to believe the vf controller has some level of smarts... It does offer some sort of dirty filter warning.

I wonder if the pc version of screen logic shows such events. I know the android doesn't offer pump monitoring info (the I have seen). Even if it simply displayed watts (which the easy touch shows)... If you were at 250 watts to get 30gom and now it's 550 watts... Might be time for filter cleaning.

Last edited:
Maybe you should just boost your speed settings to allow a little safety margin. Just set your speed based on the flow when the filter needs cleaning. I'm sure it wouldn't raise your cost that much, and sure beats dealing with an algae bloom. I know it doesn't take a very high speed to trigger the flow switch on my SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.