Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bio Active Cyanuric Acid reducer review

1. Back To Top    #1

Bio Active Cyanuric Acid reducer review

Started maintaining my own pool. Previously had a pool guy and as you can see, doesnt look like he was doing much of maintaining based on my test numbers. CYA is currently at 140. we have a drought danger in California, so draining and refilling the pool is frowned upon. Bought this new product from Bio Active to reduce CYA levels. One pack treats up to 25,000 gallons. Its safe to drop in the entire pack into the skimmer. I've seen price ranges from 41.99 - 59.99 for this stuff. Test results have shown 150ppm CYA levels to drop to 70ppm within a week. Product indicates it will not harm other parameters of the pool chemistry. I'll post up the results in a week.

4/8/2015
    17,000 gal
    FAC 0.5
    TAC 0.5
    CH 540
    CYA 140
    TA 80
    PH 7.3
    PHO 500
    16,000 gallon, IG, Plaster, pool and spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Bio Active Cyanuric Acid reducer review

Looking forward to it.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for posting. We're all quite curious to hear how this product performs as it is new to market. I hope it works well for you!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

4. Back To Top    #4

Hello, and welcome to TFP!

If at all possible, can you post your daily test results here for us to review? TFP is VERY interested in this product and it's workings.

5. Back To Top    #5

Wait, how did you get those first set of test results? The PHOS makes me think they were from a pool store and they are notoriously bad at testing CYA. So, to me that would invalidate your experiment since the CYA testing would not be accurate or repeatable.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It was a pool store testing, however, I'm inclined to believe they are accurate only because I did an initial water test about one week at a different pool store and the numbers were very similar from both independent pool stores.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Please add your pool and equipment information to your signature as outlined here -> http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mendez4047 View Post
    It was a pool store testing, however, I'm inclined to believe they are accurate only because I did an initial water test about one week at a different pool store and the numbers were very similar from both independent pool stores.
    Well, what happens if you have a different person test it next time? And the lighting is different?
    IMO, these results are not going to be controlled enough to get a good feel for the actual effectiveness of the product.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

That is very true. Then let's just say my results will be a "ball park" numeric figure.

10. Back To Top    #10

Please realize that the cornerstone of the methods we teach is testing the water yourself with a high quality FAS-DPD test kit. The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool needs.

Pool stores have repeatedly been proven to be inaccurate and not repeatable more often than not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Just an update. I purchased a Taylor test Kit. It has been 5 days since I used the Bio Active Acid Reducer. So far nothing has changed. My tests still show CYA levels over 100ppm. I will go to the pool store to get my water tested to see what they come up with and I will compare their numbers to my numbers.

12. Back To Top    #12

Use the diluted method to test the high CYA as described in the Extended Test Instructions. Forget about pool store testing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Diluted method resulted in a CYA level of 200. I'll update again in 5 days as the manufacturer states it will work for 10 days.

14. Back To Top    #14

watching
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

I would suggest doing a daily CC test. One of the intermediary products described in the literature is ammonia. Therefore, if the product is working, I would think that there would be some increase in CC levels.

16. Back To Top    #16

Today is day 8 of using Bio-Active cyanuric acid reducer. My personal readings show 200ppm and the pool store shows 140ppm. Absolutely zero decrease in CYA levels since I started.

I'm going to get ready to drain my pool. Doesn't look like this stuff is going to do magic in 2 more days.

17. Back To Top    #17

mendez4047, how are you doing the CYA test?

We really only believe in the black dot based CYA test, and for high CYA levels it needs to be done with enough dilution to make sure it isn't maxing out, as it will report anything over 100 as 100.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

I use the diluted method 50% pool water, 50% tap water, then multiply my results by 2. I'm at 100 ppm when the black dot disappears. 100 x 2 = 200 ppm

19. Back To Top    #19

I've also done the diluted method at 25% pool water with 75% tap water, then multiply it by 4. I get the same results.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by mendez4047 View Post
    I've also done the diluted method at 25% pool water with 75% tap water, then multiply it by 4. I get the same results.
    That is the important one. Using 1:1 and getting 100*2 means it could be way higher. But using 1:3 and getting 50*4 confirms that it really is 200.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast