Baquacil conversion questions

minister1534

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Portales, NM
Converting from Baquacil to bleach.

23,000 gallons, Eastern New Mexico, Taylor k-2006 kit, sand filter.

I started the conversion on Monday, pool water is clear and looks really nice, however still loosing 4ppm overnight, the last 2 nights. I was just wondering if someone can give me a time frame for conversion. I have used around 25-30 bottles of 8.25% bleach(ready for that number to slow down), and my sand needs to be changed desperately.

Just looking for timeline guidance.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. This is our second season with the pool. We used baqua last year because that is what previous owner used, and the owner before that, so probably 10 plus years of baqua. Still worked well but not well enough for the cost, still had a lot of "not so clear" water days. That's why I am going bleach.

I will stay after it, and hope walmart continues to get bleach shipments because I am buying them out.

On your next trip to WalMart stop by Home Depot and pick up your sand if you don't already have it. Mine has the pool filter sand under the pool chemicals in the outside garden area.

You seem to be doing very well. Congratulations!

One thing you can do to help the process is to make sure you are brushing the pool a TON. Brush every nook and cranny as the Baqua tends to find it's way everywhere. Lights, ladders, returns, steps all tend to provide a great "hiding spot" for the goo to hang out in.

Running the pump 24/7 is very important in the process. The more you can circulate the water, the faster the process will go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have now surpassed the 45 bottles of bleach mark and still going. (I didn't replace any water, except to top it off as I vacuum and backwash) I am starting to come very close to running out of r-0871, so I am hoping my refill comes soon.

The water is already crystal clear, and I am happy about that. Just wish this conversion would come to an end soon.

I ended up replenishing some of the test kit supplies as well. First it was the reagents for the chlorine test then the CYA test components. The speed stir is the machine - if you haven't gone that route I highly recommend it.

I have been losing around 2 to 2.5 the last few nights. However last night I think I must have miscounted my drops because this morning I lost 4ppm. Probably human error on my part.

- - - Updated - - -

I hadn't heard of the speed stir before, so I looked it up. If it wasn't for the fact that someday I will no longer be adding 30 plus drops to test for this level of chlorine, I would definitely look into getting one. I was just thinking the past few nights that I am getting tired of swirling and trying to count drops and keep an eye on color.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.