New Pool owner - above ground. Help please!

Apr 8, 2015
Lakeville
Hello!

First time pool owner here. I recently purchased a home with a 24' above ground pool - the pool is roughly 14 years old, not sure on the age of the liner. The previous owners did not cover the pool during the winter (we are in Minnesota).

Over the winter I noticed that the top of the pool was shifting (see attached picture). The top lifted up off of the walls in areas around the pool about 2-3''. In the spring now everything is melted the top has shifted back down but the liner is bulging and sliding off in a few areas. I pulled the liner back up and secured it with some clips temporarily to prevent it from continually sliding off. Any recommendations for how to go about fixing this?

(Sorry, the picture is sideways. Not sure how to rotate it! You can see that it lifted up off of my deck.)
image (1).jpg

photo (5).jpg

It looks like the pool heaved a bit. It can be fixed by taking the top rails off and pulling the liner back over the wall and putting the rails back on. It's fairly simple and can be done with a buddy.

The warmer (I hope that is not ice still in your pool-burrrr) the water and weather is the easier it will be to work on the liner. For right now secure it as best you can to keep the water in if that is ice. If it is not ice do as Casey says.

Kim

Thanks for the replies! Yep - Lakeville, MN. I'll work on the signature, still trying to figure out exactly what the details on my pool are :)

In regards to the liner, is this an issue that I should expect every winter when it freezes? Currently everything is thawed out, so I can take the top rails off and work on pulling the liner back over. Also I did notice a few small tears in the liner above the water near the top rails; maybe 1 or 2 inches. I'm hoping this can be patched?

bunch of holes and tears, it may be time to think of a replacement.

You'll probably find out when you place the liner back over the wall. If it has become brittle with age, it will probably tear on you.

If the tears, etc. are small, you can purchase a vinyl repair kit very readily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.