New Skimdoctor installed

I just ordered it to give it a try too....I already use a pool skim, which works well, but my pickup action could stand improvement I think in the actual skimmer too and I know velocity helps based on watching the pool skim in action ;)

Thanks for posting, OP!

I'm interested to hear the findings on this as well.

I installed a PoolSkim last year and it's been excellent. But I still find a lot of debris floats around the surface and ends up eventually sinking before getting caught by either the PoolSkim or my skimmer. Are there any other options out there for keeping the surface clear? I feel like there should be, since the more you catch on the surface, the less work for your robot/automatic cleaner to get off the bottom.

Can't fairly review the skimdoctor just yet. We have had rain just about every day this past week keeping the water level at the top of the skimmer's mouth. BUT a few things.....

The Good
I did have to backwash today and I kept the skimdoctor in the skimmer because the vortex/whirlpool action was nice when putting the DE slurry in.
I have noticed not ONE flying ant on the pool surface unlike before

The Bad
This is a pain empty the basket.
THIS IS A PAIN TO CLEAN If you have a dog that sheds

I have this installed and will give me some feedback but instead of double posting please just see my post(s) on the other thread:
Skim Doctor?

You need more water and point the opening in the correct direction (2 [North Hemisphere], 10 [South Hemisphere, or 6'o clock with 12'o clock being the opening of the skimmer to the pool). Put the whole coriolis effect on water swirl is kind of debatable in itself. The main idea here I think is that the opening should be pointed away from the skimmer weir (door). However, this would drastically reduce the flow and I have mine set at 6'o clock (facing the skimmer door) right now. Why? The vortex is too strong with the thing wide open and creates bubbles out of the jets blasting sand all over the pool.

So, I accidentally ran across this, and watched the videos. I'm surprised to know after watching the video that if I had one I could use less salt and it will increase the surface tension of my water. :)

This thread's been resurrected a bit, but figured I'd mention that I have one, like it, and would buy it again. I can't say anything about the surface tension of the water, but here's the benefits I've seen:
*As stupid as this is, it makes it easier to clean the skimmer by providing a handle to lift the basket out and hold it while I shake stuff out over the fence
*The vortex prevents leaves, etc. from just floating there above the basket of the skimmer, they actually go to the bottom, making room for other debris
*The improved flow rate, which isn't too noticeable with the skimmer on full-suction, allows me to partially close the valve to my skimmer, diverting more power to my pool cleaner without losing skimming functionality

It's built pretty well. The only issue I've had so far is that the end-cap nuts for the long screws that help secure it to the skimmer basket came off and got lost. A quick trip to Lowe's provided some replacement nuts that should work just as well for about $2.

question. How tall is that off the skimmer? Looks like a good idea for me to install in my deep end skimmer basket. I get more bugs and pollen, not leaves. Let me know. Seems they have a 1.0 and 2.0 version but only change appears they now use plastic clips.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have one of these, and been using it for over a year. I love it, causes a nice waterfall effect into the basket allowing it to skim the top of the pool very well. My float broke due to the concrete pad on top of the skimmer basket sinking. Been working great. Can open a close the flow a bit to control the waterfall effect into the basket.

So, I accidentally ran across this, and watched the videos. I'm surprised to know after watching the video that if I had one I could use less salt and it will increase the surface tension of my water. :)

I'm interested to hear how the SkimDoctor would allow you to use less salt in a (presumably) salt pool, or how it could increase the surface tension of the water. Please share.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.