Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Outdoor Kitchen Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Outdoor Kitchen Question

Planning on building my outdoor kitchen very soon. Grill is a DCS 48" grill, Marvel 24" outdoor fridge with DCS under the grill storage cabinet with DCS dual sideburner. And another storage compartment under the side burner. Here are my questions.

1. Is Aluminum 1.5" x 1.5" tubing strong enough
    2. I will use thin veneer stone , do you install the stone first or the stainless steel cabinets storage drawers first?
    3.Is 1/4" hardi backer thick enough for the front and sides?
    4. Do you need to use hardi backer on the top or a countertop direct ok?
    18' x 30' Completely Automated Fox Pool
    2 Pentair Intelliflo VS pumps
    Pentair 250 HD Heater
    Pentair Cartridge Filter & IC 20 Chlorinator
    Intellitouch i10 Automation & Sheer Descent x 3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Outdoor Kitchen Question

Welcome to TFP!

I'll tackle a couple of these...

3. Is 1/4" hardi backer thick enough for the front and sides? Yes, that's what I used when I built mine and still going strong on its 10th season, including a move to a new house.
    4. Do you need to use hardi backer on the top or a countertop direct ok? If you are going to put tile on the countertop (like I did), I would go with the thicker hardi backer which I believe is 3/8". The other factor with mine is that, although it looks built-in, it is movable (on large hidden casters). Occasionally, I do move it and I wanted extra protection from any twisting/torquing forces while moving.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I will tackle #1 & #2....

1. Is Aluminum 1.5" x 1.5" tubing strong enough. I would suspect the aluminum tube is plenty strong enough, but it's really a function of what center spacings they will be on and how much load you want to place on them. That shape is fairly rigid compared to steel studs, so I can't see why it wouldn't work. Just so you understand my opinion on your choice of framing material, I'm a civil engineer during the day.

2. I will use thin veneer stone , do you install the stone first or the stainless steel cabinets storage drawers first? We installed the stainless steel cabinets first, then came the thin veneer.

Best of luck on the build and post pictures. I think we all like seeing what people come up with.

Mark

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mweisz View Post
    I will tackle #1 & #2....
    2. I will use thin veneer stone , do you install the stone first or the stainless steel cabinets storage drawers first? We installed the stainless steel cabinets first, then came the thin veneer.
    Same with us. The frame of the doors and drawers gives you the line to which your veneers need to be cut to and then set against.
    Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll answer them too... Just for fun.

Should be dependent on your countertop material. I used 20ga galvanized channel. The worry I would have about square tubing is joint connections. How are you making the joints? With channel you slide on in the other.

2. I will use thin veneer stone , do you install the stone first or the stainless steel cabinets storage drawers first?
    Install the 1/4" hardi, then doors and drawers, then install the stone. I didn't put the rock right up against the door frames as I could never get it to be perfect so I left some grout area. Then I put blue tape on the door frames and grouted the area between the stone and door. Pull the tape and you have a clean edge.

Yes.

I did. However I did a poured in place concrete counter. The only way you could not have something there is if you did a slab counter. If you are doing granite or the like slab, then no you don't.

If you click my build in my signature I have very detailed steps, diagrams, and you can see how I solved issues that I didn't know of till they came up.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014
    My ODK Build | My Pool Build | If You're From Texas Vote Here

6. Back To Top    #6

I was planning on welding the frames. Also I saw your photos nice. Another question. Did you have to compensate the height for the grill with the addition of your countertop and did you plAce the grill on the frame or on the cement counter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabooh1 View Post
    I'll answer them too... Just for fun.

Should be dependent on your countertop material. I used 20ga galvanized channel. The worry I would have about square tubing is joint connections. How are you making the joints? With channel you slide on in the other.

Install the 1/4" hardi, then doors and drawers, then install the stone. I didn't put the rock right up against the door frames as I could never get it to be perfect so I left some grout area. Then I put blue tape on the door frames and grouted the area between the stone and door. Pull the tape and you have a clean edge.

Yes.

I did. However I did a poured in place concrete counter. The only way you could not have something there is if you did a slab counter. If you are doing granite or the like slab, then no you don't.

If you click my build in my signature I have very detailed steps, diagrams, and you can see how I solved issues that I didn't know of till they came up.
    Pentair 250 HD Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

My counter is a little taller than normal, about 38". 36" stud, 1/2" footing, 1.5" counter. I didn't mind though as it was easier than cutting every stud.

The grill is sitting on the concrete counter. I did a pour in place counter and each cutout has a horizontal stud right at the edge near the appliance. The shelf under the Primo ceramic grill (175 lb or so) has extra horizontal and vertical reinforcement.
    ~Paul
    19x40 IG including 10' BE, 18,000 gal, plaster, 48 SF DE, 1.5HP pump, AquaPure SWCG, Ozonejoe 30MR, Rockwaterfall, LED light, TF-100 Fill date 11/21/2014

8. Back To Top    #8

I have my aluminum frame built up, did it on the weekend using 1.5" aluminum tubing 1/8" thick. It's 10' long and 1 piece. I will cover all sides using 1/2" du rock cement board. The back is going up against a brick wall and this will be covered, it's under my loggia, is the back ok with cement board?
    Pentair 250 HD Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Aluminum frame
    Pentair 250 HD Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Cement board can and will absorb water. You need some sort of waterproof coating.
    ~Paul

11. Back To Top    #11

That frame looks indestructible...I like it!

I'm not sure you need to waterproof the back, if it is underneath a roof as you say. If it is not going to get wet, and isn't visible, I'd be awfully tempted to leave it bare too.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

I'd be inclined if you are painting the rest before it's final location to just add the waterproofing to the back. Can't hurt anything.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

13. Back To Top    #13

I gave it a coat of Flexbond on the backside, step 2 is complete
    Pentair 250 HD Heater

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks good!
    ~Paul

15. Back To Top    #15

Is that all welded together...? Nice...
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes it's welded together. I then used stainless steel screws for the Durock cement board. Stone should be going on in a couple of days. I have installed the appliances except for the fridge.
    Pentair 250 HD Heater

17. Back To Top    #17

Looking good!
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

18. Back To Top    #18

These are the types of threads that make me want to make one of these myself. Looking great!
    18' x 36' vinyl steel wall pool with deep end, 2 lights and 6' steps, main drain, SWG, Cartridge Filter, 320,000 BTU Rheem heater, 3/4HP 1 stage pump - Ontario, Canada