Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First year pool doesn't open clear

1. Back To Top    #1

First year pool doesn't open clear

This is my fifth opening of this pool. In years past when I started noticing green algae, I simply shocked, added algaecide and then later a little water clarifier. Sometimes I have to add stabilizer. Vacuum up debris and within 24 hours, the water was crystal. It was always very easy.

This year, not going well. After 5 days, while slowly getting better, the water is still very cloudy. Shocked with dichlor. Still showing slight algae in the corners.
    I cleaned the sand filter last night thinking there may be a lot of pollen built up. Didn't notice much debris at all floating out of the top.

Also, I have never had CYA over 60-70, this year the pool supply store showed 134!! My own TF-100 test shows right at 100. BUT, as the water is cloudy, I am suspect of what the actual results are (being as this is a visual test involving water clarity). We had a lot of rain this winter and draining excess water was common.

Specs:
    23,500 vinyl

FC 3.5
    CC 1
    TA 100
    pH 7.2
    Borates 15

I now I need to stay on top of the shock.
    How can I ensure my CYA is accurate?
    Should I shock to the 100 level (FC of 39)?
    Any other suggestions appreciated.
    new in 2009 - 18' x 36' IG vinyl liner, 23,300 gallons
    24" sand filter w/ 1.5hp pump
    Polaris 280 cleaner w/ booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First year pool doesn't open clear

THe TF Test kit can only measure CYA to 100. It may be a but past that.
    The reason you cant clear the algae is because of the High CYA. Not enough effective chlorine.

Even if you do get rid of it with high shock level, it will be difficult to manage the FC to keep the pool clean.

It would be better in the long run, to do a partial drain to get the CYA down to where it should be, and then maintain the pool with non stabilized chlorine (liquid) so it doesnt happen again.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you elaborate a bit on what your "normal" opening procedure is, and exactly what you put in?

I would suggest dropping the CYA to 30-50, then follow the instructions in the SLAM article.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm kinda given to wonder why you'd shock with dichlor when you have high CYA, since dichlor Al's has stabilizer just like pucks.
    Do you follow common TFP practices of dosing with liquid chlorine using te CYA:Chlorine chart here?
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

We used to use liquid chlorine, but it is no longer available in the Huntsville area. Switched to pucks last year.
    I still don't trust that CYA reading. How can it go up after the pool is closed?

Regardless, what is the best way to get the CYA down? I realize I am going to have to lose a whole bunch of water.
    Is there a practical method to doing this?

6. Back To Top    #6

Did walmart stop selling bleach? The only way to get CYA down is through water replacement.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by lances4803 View Post
    We used to use liquid chlorine, but it is no longer available in the Huntsville area. Switched to pucks last year.
    I still don't trust that CYA reading. How can it go up after the pool is closed?

Regardless, what is the best way to get the CYA down? I realize I am going to have to lose a whole bunch of water.
    Is there a practical method to doing this?
    The pucks you were using last year added to the CYA, as did the dichlor you were "shocking" the pool with. The pool water is not cloudy enough to throw off the CYA test. I have sampled water from swamp black pools and the samples were always clear enough to get an accurate result on the CYA test.

As far as draining goes, do not drain a vinyl liner in ground pool completely. Leave at least a foot of water in the shallow end to prevent the liner from shifting or floating.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

We had been buying Clorox in bulk at Sam's, decent price.
    Then they started only carrying bleach that contained an an anti-sudsing agent.
    I guess it is back to the small jugs.