FC at 90 PPM

GGMark

Apr 5, 2015
Orlando, FL
I recently drained and refilled my somewhat-green pool at the recommendation of a pool store guy due to an abnormally high CYA level (100-200PPM?).

After refilling on Sunday, I was still waiting for my TF-100 test kit to arrive, so I put in an entire jug of liquid chlorine (from the pool store). I think it's 2.5 gal in size. Not sure about the concentration.

Today (Wednesday), I got the test kit, and here are the results (I did my best to follow the instructions exactly, but this was my first time doing this):
FC: 90
CC: 0
TC: 90
CA: 325
TA: 90
CYA: 35
pH: 7.6

The pool is currently blue and mostly clear - just a tad milky in the deep end. From looking at the chart here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock I can tell that my FC is much better closer to 4ppm, and even the shock level is much lower than what I measured.

I am assuming that this high FC level will go down by itself in a couple days, and I plan on measuring it every day to plot its progress, but I am wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. I am afraid that my impatience is going to prevent the pool from being safe to swim in this weekend.

Edit: As noted in my later post, I did the FAS-DPD test incorrectly due to not swirling the mixture after each drop. The actual FC is closer to 12 ppm.

Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Blindly adding that much chlorine is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

Assuming the concentration was 12.5%, using PoolMath (you need to learn to use this), 2.5 gallons would have only added 33ppm of FC to your sized pool. So something is wrong with your test. Did you use 10ml or 25ml of water? How many drops did you count?

There are Youtube videos posted on the tftestkit.net website.

The FC will drop as the sun breaks down the chlorine. Luckily it does not look like the FC should have gotten high enough to damage anything.

You need to properly follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process before the pool is going to be safe.

Are you sure you did the test correctly? 2.5 g of chlorine should not raise it that far. If you are using the FAS DPD test, remember each drop is 0.2 ppm for the 25 ml level and 0.5 ppm for the 10 ml level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GGMark,

Get a Taylor Speedstir and swirling will be a thing of the past. Trust me when I say you will love it. One of the best investments I have made for my pool. Welcome to the forum.

Speedstir FTW! Get one,it's really not that expensive. Just think of all the pool store money you are going to save.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.