Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC at 90 PPM

1. Back To Top    #1

FC at 90 PPM

I recently drained and refilled my somewhat-green pool at the recommendation of a pool store guy due to an abnormally high CYA level (100-200PPM?).

After refilling on Sunday, I was still waiting for my TF-100 test kit to arrive, so I put in an entire jug of liquid chlorine (from the pool store). I think it's 2.5 gal in size. Not sure about the concentration.

Today (Wednesday), I got the test kit, and here are the results (I did my best to follow the instructions exactly, but this was my first time doing this):
    FC: 90
    CC: 0
    TC: 90
    CA: 325
    TA: 90
    CYA: 35
    pH: 7.6

The pool is currently blue and mostly clear - just a tad milky in the deep end. From looking at the chart here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock I can tell that my FC is much better closer to 4ppm, and even the shock level is much lower than what I measured.

I am assuming that this high FC level will go down by itself in a couple days, and I plan on measuring it every day to plot its progress, but I am wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. I am afraid that my impatience is going to prevent the pool from being safe to swim in this weekend.

Edit: As noted in my later post, I did the FAS-DPD test incorrectly due to not swirling the mixture after each drop. The actual FC is closer to 12 ppm.
    Last edited by GGMark; 04-08-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Correction
    Pool Stats: 9500 gallon in-ground plaster/pebble pool | Hayward sand filter | Covered with a screen | Sunny Orlando, FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC at 90 PPM

Are you sure the FC is 90? If your CYA is 35 an FC of 90 is way to high to swim safely.

You would have had to add 7 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine to get from 0 to 90.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Blindly adding that much chlorine is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

Assuming the concentration was 12.5%, using PoolMath (you need to learn to use this), 2.5 gallons would have only added 33ppm of FC to your sized pool. So something is wrong with your test. Did you use 10ml or 25ml of water? How many drops did you count?

There are Youtube videos posted on the tftestkit.net website.

The FC will drop as the sun breaks down the chlorine. Luckily it does not look like the FC should have gotten high enough to damage anything.

You need to properly follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process before the pool is going to be safe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you sure you did the test correctly? 2.5 g of chlorine should not raise it that far. If you are using the FAS DPD test, remember each drop is 0.2 ppm for the 25 ml level and 0.5 ppm for the 10 ml level.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I just watched the video, and it looks like I missed the "constant swirling" in the instructions. Got 24 drops, or 12 ppm this time. I should read more carefully!
    Pool Stats: 9500 gallon in-ground plaster/pebble pool | Hayward sand filter | Covered with a screen | Sunny Orlando, FL

6. Back To Top    #6

Good Deal! You had us worried there for a minute!

Quote Originally Posted by GGMark View Post
    I just watched the video, and it looks like I missed the "constant swirling" in the instructions. Got 24 drops, or 12 ppm this time. I should read more carefully!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

GGMark,

Get a Taylor Speedstir and swirling will be a thing of the past. Trust me when I say you will love it. One of the best investments I have made for my pool. Welcome to the forum.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

8. Back To Top    #8

how did you get a CYA of 35 just after refilling?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA View Post
    GGMark,

Get a Taylor Speedstir and swirling will be a thing of the past. Trust me when I say you will love it. One of the best investments I have made for my pool. Welcome to the forum.
    I agree 100% with this.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Gotta swirl it! lol
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA View Post
    GGMark,

Speedstir FTW! Get one,it's really not that expensive. Just think of all the pool store money you are going to save.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeChris View Post
    how did you get a CYA of 35 just after refilling?
    i would second this question. When did you refill, how much of what did you add to get the CYA in the water? When did you add it?

It can take up to,a week for CYA to register on the test.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon