Best times to run two cycles on the SWG

Aug 6, 2008
Honolulu
From reading this forum it seems it is better to run the SWG twice rather than once each day.

At present the cycle is set to run 4 1/2 hours from 11 am to 3:30 pm giving a 1 1/2 turn on a 10,000 gal pool.

What split times would be better, for example only 10:30 am to 1:00 pm and then 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm? I normally swim after 5:30 pm.

Solar Noon on 9/8/2008 is at 12:27:55 pm.

If so should I set the reverse at 4 hours or 2 hours?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you both for your replies.

Decisions, decisions, they both sound like a good idea. The two turns would work out marginally more expensive from a cost point of view, but I see where you are coming from and it does sound good.

I will test both and see which provides the best result.

This week I will test the twice a day and next week the day and night and will report back.

Aloha.

I have a heat pump on my pool and like to swim in the evenings so I run the pump for 5 hours during the day to generate chlorine during the highest demand because of sunlight and 3 hours when I am most likely to swim so the water stays warm (I like my pool around 88 degrees). I adjust my SWG to maintian a 4 ppm FC.

Once again thank you all for these many replies.

I think I have settled on 11:30 am to 4:30 pm, this seems to get the optimum FC reading, 4.2 DPD-FAS, to where I want it and even on sunny days, the ORP reading usually after 2:45 pm is higher than the set at 700, so the unit no longer has to produce chlorine which helps keep the pH at around 7.5 to 7.55. The pool if covered will normally be around 84 F, at least until December.

But I agree with Waterbear, if I swim late (after 8 pm) the unit is turned back on to heat the water a little. This longer run time also seems to help raise the ORP both that night and in the morning, presumeably more filtration helps.

Aloha.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.