Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best times to run two cycles on the SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Best times to run two cycles on the SWG

From reading this forum it seems it is better to run the SWG twice rather than once each day.

At present the cycle is set to run 4 1/2 hours from 11 am to 3:30 pm giving a 1 1/2 turn on a 10,000 gal pool.

What split times would be better, for example only 10:30 am to 1:00 pm and then 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm? I normally swim after 5:30 pm.

Solar Noon on 9/8/2008 is at 12:27:55 pm.

If so should I set the reverse at 4 hours or 2 hours?

Any help would be appreciated.
    10,000 gal plaster pool,3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, Sta-Rite Great White GW9500 pool cleaner, Hayward 300 lb Sand Filter
    Use Magenta Stuff for Iron and Silica control.
    Balance: pH 7.7 Cl 7 -8 Alk 70-80 CH 325 CyA 30 in winter - 50 in summer NaCl 1010 TDS 1200

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best times to run two cycles on the SWG

morning and afternoon
    you should only change reversal when your cell scales too much
    normally SWGs remember how long they've worked in one direction, so when you renable the unit it just continues working.

3. Back To Top    #3

With split run times, I like to have part in the day to refresh the chlorine and part at night so the chlorine can really do it's job without UV and bather interference 8) I'd set the run times for each to equal 1 turnover.

Aloha
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for your replies.

Decisions, decisions, they both sound like a good idea. The two turns would work out marginally more expensive from a cost point of view, but I see where you are coming from and it does sound good.

I will test both and see which provides the best result.

This week I will test the twice a day and next week the day and night and will report back.

Aloha.
    10,000 gal plaster pool,3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, Sta-Rite Great White GW9500 pool cleaner, Hayward 300 lb Sand Filter
    Balance: pH 7.7 Cl 7 -8 Alk 70-80 CH 325 CyA 30 in winter - 50 in summer NaCl 1010 TDS 1200

5. Back To Top    #5

when i said "afternoon" i didn't mean it literally
    it can be evening, or night
    i would run them with 12h difference, so if you have it running 6-10am, opposite cycle would be 6-10pm

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a heat pump on my pool and like to swim in the evenings so I run the pump for 5 hours during the day to generate chlorine during the highest demand because of sunlight and 3 hours when I am most likely to swim so the water stays warm (I like my pool around 88 degrees). I adjust my SWG to maintian a 4 ppm FC.

7. Back To Top    #7

Once again thank you all for these many replies.

I think I have settled on 11:30 am to 4:30 pm, this seems to get the optimum FC reading, 4.2 DPD-FAS, to where I want it and even on sunny days, the ORP reading usually after 2:45 pm is higher than the set at 700, so the unit no longer has to produce chlorine which helps keep the pH at around 7.5 to 7.55. The pool if covered will normally be around 84 F, at least until December.

But I agree with Waterbear, if I swim late (after 8 pm) the unit is turned back on to heat the water a little. This longer run time also seems to help raise the ORP both that night and in the morning, presumeably more filtration helps.

Aloha.