New Build in North Texas - Need Help on Equipment Choice

Jun 25, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
As the title indicated, after 2 years of pondering we have decieded to take the plunge and are currently in the permitting process for a new inground pool and spa. It will be free form approximately 32'-18' with a tanning ledge and rock waterfall/grotto. Depth will transition from 3.5' to 6'. PB is letting me pick the equipment and purchase it on my own so I've been heavily researching and this is the list Ive come up with:

All Jandy Products:
Pump: JEP2.0 or VSFHP2.0 Both are variable speed. The VSFHP has a control board that you can choose to use if you want while the JEP does not. Any other big differences between these two models? Which one is quieter...the pump will against the wall that our master bed is on.
Water FAll Pump - Havent deciede this yet.
Filter - CV580 Their largest cartridge filter. I didnt want to plumb into the city sewer for backwashing.
Heater - jxi400n. This is a newer, more compact unit. Anyone have experience with this?
Salt Cell - PLC400
Automation: RS-PS4 or RS-PS6
Interface: IQ20 - This is aqualink2.0 that I believe solved the wifi band issue
Box: 6614ap-l I wanted the breakers for when Im performing system maintenance
Surge Protection Kit - 6908 Ive read that we need something to protect automation systems since we have pretty stormy weather in North Texas. Will this do the job or is there a better way to do it? Can you do it at the homes main panel more efficiently?
Cleaner - Kreepy Krauly

So what are your thoughts on this set up?

Also, Im somewhat confused on how many actuators and relays I need. Heres what I want aqualink to accomplish:
1. Waterfall on/off
2. pool lights on/off
3. spa lights on/off
4. spa heater on/off and temp control. Ive confirmed the selected heater is compatible.
5. pump control
6. landscape lights

Thanks in advance guys...this is one heck of a process!

For that list of items, you will only need 2 actuators for the pool/spa suction and return valves.

You need a relay for anything electrical. So 3 for the lights, and possibly 2 for the pumps (at least 1 for the waterfall pump, but I am not sure if the VS pump needs a relay or if it is controlled via a communication cable).

I have not seen much mention of the Jandy heaters, I would suggest seriously considering the Raypak though based on the feedback they get.

Since you are getting a SWG, are you avoiding the soft flagstone then?

Are you sure you need a separate waterfall pump? How big is the water feature? Are you going to want it running when the spa is running?

For the cleaner, I would suggest ThePoolCleaner if you want suction ... or get a robot.

Thanks, I'll ask the pb about about the waterfall pump and I think the Vs pump won't need a relay but will confirm that also. I probably don't want the waterfall running with the spa for the late nights the wife and I want it to be quiet.

I'm aware of the flagstone and salt debate and plan to look into that at some point more this month... One thing at a time!

I'll look into the racypak heaters... Is there a specific model recommended for heating a 7ft round spa? Another question on spa... Are folks installing air blowers for the bubbles? I haven't talked much about the spa with the pb yet.

Does thepoolcleaner vac need a Booster pump?

The bigger the heater, the faster the spa will be heated.

Blowers are only needed if the builder does not know how to properly plumb the spa.

ThePoolCleaner is a suction cleaner not a pressure cleaner. Although they do actually have a pressure version too ... Have not heard much about it.

Our pool uses all Jandy equipment. We have the jandy ePump, which can run our 3 scuppers and 2 bubblers without any issue. So depending on your waterfall size, you may not need an additional pump, but would need an additional valve actuator if you want to turn it on/off via the controller. But that does make your spa and water features mutually exclusive. The ePump is also plenty for our spa, as we never need to turn on the air blower. The heater is more restrictive than prior models, see this thread, but we have used it to heat our 34k gallon pool twice already without issues. I would definately upgrade the automation to the PS6 or PS8, as you never know what you might want to add later. For the iAqualink interface, I got this from customer support when I asked, "The The IQ20 has easier setup and improved connectivity over the IQ900. Also the 2.0 is compatible with a wireless bands, whereas the 1.0 is only compatible with 802.11 B". As to the relays, if you want all 3 lights to be independent, that is 3 relays, plus the pump, which uses all the available relays on the PS4.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Do the actuators require separate relays? I'll probably just get the 6 relay set up to be safe

Mine did not. If I recall, there was an "extra aux" normally used for solar, that was re-purposed to the actuator of my water features.

I have the PS6, and my utilization is the following:
Relay1 - ePump
Relay2 - Air blower
Relay3 - Pool light
Relay4 - Spa light
Relay5 - Stenner pump
Relay6 - Free

I have 3 actuators, 2 for pool/spa drain/return, and 1 for water features.

Our pool uses all Jandy equipment. We have the jandy ePump, which can run our 3 scuppers and 2 bubblers without any issue. So depending on your waterfall size, you may not need an additional pump, but would need an additional valve actuator if you want to turn it on/off via the controller. But that does make your spa and water features mutually exclusive. The ePump is also plenty for our spa, as we never need to turn on the air blower. The heater is more restrictive than prior models, see this thread, but we have used it to heat our 34k gallon pool twice already without issues. I would definately upgrade the automation to the PS6 or PS8, as you never know what you might want to add later. For the iAqualink interface, I got this from customer support when I asked, "The The IQ20 has easier setup and improved connectivity over the IQ900. Also the 2.0 is compatible with a wireless bands, whereas the 1.0 is only compatible with 802.11 B". As to the relays, if you want all 3 lights to be independent, that is 3 relays, plus the pump, which uses all the available relays on the PS4.

He nailed it go ps8 if your builder will for the same quote, we got the ps4 and between my two pumps and lights they are full up so I could not power my low voltage landscape lights or patio fans off the system controls, you can always add breaker to the box so the power isn't an issue just the interfacing.

The iq20 upgrade kit with the aqua link 2.0 will upgrade your cpu Chip/board to a rs8 chip with will allow you to use all 8 auxiliaries the ps4 control board had that only 4 were usable before, it comes with a new chip and board so you swap em. With that and the ps4 system all you will have to do is purchase the relays to utilize the other auxs, which is phenomenal as the ps4 to ps8 are quite a price gap and the relays are super cheap to buy and install. So if you do that, which is where we're at just having it installed in our new ps4 box it essentially upgrades it to a ps8 and your set ;). Hope that helps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Do the actuators require separate relays? I'll probably just get the 6 relay set up to be safe

Yes, and zodiac pool systems tech support is dialed to talk with if the builder confused you, the builder basically told me my box I could never use the other auxs because it was a ps4, the upgrade kit iq20 with the aqua link came and theh installed my aqua link 2.0 but they weren't going to swap the control boards and chips. They were actually going to take the other board that came with it too that allowed me to use the full functions of the box, as that kit is also an upgrade kit not just for the aqua link but for the whole RS PDA system. Glad I was at home and looked at it because it was what I needed and wanted to have

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Justin, that's a great tip. Where did you get the additional relays? Do you have a part number?

Haven't looked just yet as this was yesterday but from what the electrician told me Any pool supply store should have it.

- - - Updated - - -

What your email? I'll forward you the tech support email with all the part numbers tonight, shoot me a Pm

Thanks for posting this, timely, I'm in the midst of equipment information overload. Seems like everyone I speak to tells me something different, e.g. the SWG they've spec'd out is a "beginner" unit, you'll want this one, get the pool/spa controller and you won't need to buy additional actuators etc. OVERWHELMING . . .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.