Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newby who needs help and doesn't want to get ripped off

1. Back To Top    #1

Newby who needs help and doesn't want to get ripped off

I installed a 24' round by 4' deep late last year in Rochester, NY.

Because it was late in the year I held off on my electric because of heavy rains and plan on having it done early spring. I also purchased a Raypak NG 200K BTU heater that I plan on installing this year as well.

So I'm going to need an electrician to install my electric and a plumber to install the gas line. My electrical box is about the same distance as the gas, around 60 feet away. The inspector says the electrical line and gas pipe can go in the same trench they just have to be a certain amount of distance from each other.

I was quoted $2,600 to run the electric (4x4 post, couple of GFI outlets, sleeve on post to make it look nice) and run the gas.

Does this sound about right to everyone? Also, how thick do you think the gas line should be going that distance? I've heard 1" and I've heard an 1 1/4".

Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I forgot something so please let me know and I'll give you details.

Thanks

Scaboney

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newby who needs help and doesn't want to get ripped off

Gas pipe is not cheap, so that could be reasonable for turn-key for both electric and gas.

For 60 feet (which does not include losses due to fittings), 1" supports about 230k BTUs ... once losses are included, this would be marginal in my mind.
    1.25" supports about 512k BTU ... a significant bump for likely not much increase in cost. This is what I would do ... leaves you extra margin for adding BBQ or larger heater in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Anyone else have any input?

4. Back To Top    #4

That doesnt sound like a bad price to me for both gas and electric turnkey. I was quoted 1500 for about 70 feet of electric only to my storage outbuilding. All I wanted was a light and couple of outlets in there.

I agree with jblizzle about going with the larger gas pipe to leave some margin in case you add something some day, or maybe decide to get a bigger heater.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Hopefully whoever quoted the job for you quoted a cost that included the correct sized line for the gas. Also, did they look at your meter to see if you would need a regulator at the end of the line by the heater?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Does the gas pipe need to get hooked directly to the meter?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Please add you pools info to your signature as outlined here - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by scaboney View Post
    Does the gas pipe need to get hooked directly to the meter?
    No. They can tie you in at a suitable location using a "T". When doing work around the house my rule of thumb is to get "3" quotes. A licensed plumber will know what size pipe you need to support your gas heater. There is NO guessing here.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks! Question. If there is inch pipe coming into the house, you can't hook 1 1/4 to that correct? The 1 1/4 has to be coming straight from the meter itself and not vise versa correct?

10. Back To Top    #10

Your question doesn't really make any sense, and the answer doesn't matter even if it did. You need to get a licensed master plumber to figure out the correct way to hook it up, which will depend on a number of details you haven't mentioned yet. There is no real point in trying to second guess what they are going to do.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Your question doesn't really make any sense, and the answer doesn't matter even if it did. You need to get a licensed master plumber to figure out the correct way to hook it up, which will depend on a number of details you haven't mentioned yet. There is no real point in trying to second guess what they are going to do.
    Well said.
    20X36 IG vinyl (18,000 gal), 3 sheer descents, Max-Flo 1.5hp VS 2300, Aquarite T15 SWG, C3030 filter, 250,000 BTU heater, Sharkvac XL (Hayward equip)

12. Back To Top    #12

We were quoted $40 / linear foot for gas line install on 1.5" line.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post
    We were quoted $40 / linear foot for gas line install on 1.5" line.

Thanks!