Replacement for a Hayward Super pump?

Jun 2, 2011
La Crosse, WI
My Hayward super pump developed a leak last year and needs the gasket kit.

Before I do that however, I am thinking about getting a more energy efficient pump. We run the pump on average 12 hours a day. The pump is currently running on 110, but I can do 220 with no issues. My energy costs go up about $150 a month for June/July and August which is generally when the pool pump is running (along with the A/C of course). Energy Charge - Summer Rate = $0.1296/kWh

What are my options?
1. Replace motor with a 2 speed motor
2. Get a new 2 speed pump
3. Get a new VS pump

This Hayward and this Pentair look ok,

What about 2 speed pumps, they are still more efficient than my old single speed pump right?

Any suggestions would be great!

A 2 speed pump is always a better deal than a single speed pump. Variable speed pumps are normally only worth it if your electric rates are above $0.15/kWh.

12 hours a day is a huge amount of pump run time. You could probably cut that in half (or more) without any problems and save 50% on electricity even without an upgrade.

I would vote for Option 1. Just replace the motor and the seals.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.