Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    13

    Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    So Im new here, but Im not new to pools. Its been about 20 years though and pools have changed a lot. We just bought a new houe that came with a pool. First order of business was to put a fence up then I took the water to get it tested at the pool store. The chlorine was super high and the CYA was 160 PPM. They suggested a drain, chlorine scrub on the walls and floor, then refill. Did that and things are currently fine. Im also replaced the cartridges in the filter because I wasn't sure when they were last cleaned or replaced and the pressure was sitting about 12, currently looking good on that front. After the refill I had to add a little bit of cya to bring it up from 20 to 30, and two bags of shock is what they had me use for the chlorine, and I am currently floating tabs.

    All this while im waiting to get my TFT test kit so I can truly balance the water. Im kind of at the mercy of the pool store for another week or so. In that time my new Pentair VS 3050 Intelliflo pump will be installed replacing the 10 year old single speed (nothing wrong with it, just old and noisy, and a power hungry monster)

    Any way I look forward to learning a lot more and balancing the pool my self and not spending a zillion dollars in chemicals.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    You are not at anyone's mercy, stop going to the pool store. The two bags of shock and the tabs are still raising your CYA, I would say stop that. Save the floater & tabs for vacation. If it were me I would be adding a little bleach each day until you get your test kit and start investigating auto chlorination (Liquidator/Stenner Pump/Salt Water Chlorine Generator)

    If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

    How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

    It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature
    The size of your pool in gallons
    If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
    If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    What kind/model of water test kit you are using
    Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

    Welcome!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Welcome to TFP!!!

    You should get the TF-100 in well under a week, when did you order it? From tftestkit.net or poolsupplyworld.com?

    In AZ you are going to want the CYA to be up closer to 50ppm eventually, so the pucks and powder likely did not hurt you too bad.

    You should likely follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to be sure you are starting off with nothing growing in the water.

    Post up a full set of test results when your kit arrives
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    13

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    You are not at anyone's mercy, stop going to the pool store. The two bags of shock and the tabs are still raising your CYA, I would say stop that. Save the floater & tabs for vacation. If it were me I would be adding a little bleach each day until you get your test kit and start investigating auto chlorination (Liquidator/Stenner Pump/Salt Water Chlorine Generator)

    If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

    How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

    It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature
    The size of your pool in gallons
    If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
    If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
    Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
    What kind/model of water test kit you are using
    Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

    Welcome!!

    I had test strips that told me the chems were off that's when I took it to the local store. The guy was an old timer, and hasn't tried to sell me any needless ****. Yet....LOL
    I know the tabs and shock will raise the cya, the oldie pool guy said, were going to keep you at the 40-50 range. My test strips currently say my PH is low and CYA ideal FC Ideal and TC Ideal
    Test kit has shipped from TFtestkits this morning.
    I updated my sig after the post (hopefully it will show up on this post)
    I have read most the pool school already

    Well on my way
    17k IG Plaster pool (2004), Pentair V3050 Intelliflo(2015), Hayward C3030 325cf cartridge filter
    Zodiac G3, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Quote Originally Posted by zikronix View Post
    I have read most the pool school already

    Well on my way
    Great!!

    Looking forward to seeing your first test numbers.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Welcome to TFP.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Divin Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Longview, Texas
    Posts
    4,926

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Hi zik!
    Welcome !
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Patrick_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    15,001

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Welcome Zik!

    That's a great intro and good to hear.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    13

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Ok so here are my numbers (mesa, az hard water)

    FC = .5 GOAL 3
    CC = .5 GOAL 7.5
    CH = 375 GOAL 375 or lower (not much I can do here due to AZ HARD WATER)
    TA = 190 GOAL 120
    CYA = 20? it was filled to the top GOAL 40-50

    So Im a little confused on what I should do first. If I follow the slam process it says to take care of my pH. However I know for a fact I need to add stablizer which will reduce my pH. Since clearly I need to add chlorine and satablizer should I just get a couple bags of shock and then retest? Or do I follow the pool math and add the required items according to it? Or do something entirely different
    17k IG Plaster pool (2004), Pentair V3050 Intelliflo(2015), Hayward C3030 325cf cartridge filter
    Zodiac G3, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    What is your pH?

    You can use some dichlor or trichlor is you understand all of their effects. You should target a specific FC level though using PoolMath and not just dump a bunch of powder in. Keep track of how much CYA it is adding.

    Much simpler to just add some CYA and stick with bleach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    You only want to raise your CYA to 30 before a SLAM.

    Lower your ph to 7.2-7.4, add cya to raise to 30 and start SLAMming.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    13

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    You only want to raise your CYA to 30 before a SLAM.

    Lower your ph to 7.2-7.4, add cya to raise to 30 and start SLAMming.
    So your saying to lower my ph add some muratic acid. and raise my cya to 30 dont worry about the chlorine at the moment then once thats in range then proceed with slam?
    17k IG Plaster pool (2004), Pentair V3050 Intelliflo(2015), Hayward C3030 325cf cartridge filter
    Zodiac G3, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Lower the pH and start the CYA dissolving. Verify pH after 30+ minutes. Start the SLAM assuming the CYA is at your target.

    A week after CYA has dissolved, test and verify level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Here is an excerpt from this page with detailed instructions on how to SLAM your pool.
    SLAMing Your Pool


    Prerequisites:You need to have a FAS-DPD chlorine testYou also need to know your current CYA level, and then look up the corresponding FC shock level. You can use the*The Chlorine/CYA Chart*at Pool School to find the correct FC shock level for your CYA level.It is best to use bleach or liquid chlorine when SLAMing. You will want to have enough on hand to raise the FC level to shock level at least a couple of times. It is especially important to avoid using dichlor when SLAMing, as it will raise CYA far too quickly.Make sure the pool is free of leaves and other debris (at least as much as possible).Check and adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.5. The PH test isn't reliable during SLAMing so make sure to take care of this before you start.Run the pump 24/7 until you are done SLAMing

    SLAM:Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see*here*for correct shock level)
    Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.Brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day Backwash or clean the filter as needed Vacuum up debris as needed You are done when:CC is 0.5 or lower;You pass an OCLT (ie*overnight FC loss test*shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);And the water is clear.When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    13

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Here is an excerpt from this page with detailed instructions on how to SLAM your pool.
    SLAMing Your Pool
    Yea I read that but, it didnt really make things clear at least not to me.
    17k IG Plaster pool (2004), Pentair V3050 Intelliflo(2015), Hayward C3030 325cf cartridge filter
    Zodiac G3, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

  16. Back To Top    #16
    Smykowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)
    Posts
    3,065

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Quote Originally Posted by zikronix View Post
    So your saying to lower my ph add some muratic acid. and raise my cya to 30 dont worry about the chlorine at the moment then once thats in range then proceed with slam?
    Step 1: Get the pH down to the low 7s. You'll use muriatic acid for this. Use Pool Math to determine how much.

    Step 2: Add enough CYA to bring it up to 30. This will drive pH down a little further, but likely not enough to warrant another pH adjustment (but you can check Pool Math to be sure). CYA won't show up on a test for about a week, so if you did the math correctly, don't bother testing for it....assume your CYA is now at 30.

    Step 3: Start the SLAM by bringing your FC up to the appropriate level per the FC/CYA chart. Test and redose as often as you need to hold it there until all three criteria are met.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    13

    Re: Hi, Im new here and have already done a TON

    Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Step 1: Get the pH down to the low 7s. You'll use muriatic acid for this. Use Pool Math to determine how much.

    Step 2: Add enough CYA to bring it up to 30. This will drive pH down a little further, but likely not enough to warrant another pH adjustment (but you can check Pool Math to be sure). CYA won't show up on a test for about a week, so if you did the math correctly, don't bother testing for it....assume your CYA is now at 30.

    Step 3: Start the SLAM by bringing your FC up to the appropriate level per the FC/CYA chart. Test and redose as often as you need to hold it there until all three criteria are met.

    Sounds like a plan! Thanks Be back soon!
    17k IG Plaster pool (2004), Pentair V3050 Intelliflo(2015), Hayward C3030 325cf cartridge filter
    Zodiac G3, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •