Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help wiring an Autopiolot to a 2 speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Help wiring an Autopiolot to a 2 speed pump

Can someone please help me with wiring an Auto pilot Nano to a 2 speed pump. My pump is 240v so I know that it has a L1 and L2 plus a switching lug to go between high and low speed. I think what I neeed to do is wire one side of my Nano to the L2 or common lug, and i believe i just wire the other side of my Nano to a constant hot thats on the other leg of the power that is coming into my power panel. All of this is run through a digital timer. Please let me know if this sounds wrong.
    21'6" x 38' Inground pool with Onyx pebble tec, Oklahoma flag stone coping with natural moss rock, Hayward DE6020 filter, Hayward Tristar SP3215X202 pump, Hayward Booster pump Model 6060, Ozone Joes OJ-45LR, Intermatic PE653RC. Pool completed in April 2014.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help wiring an Autopiolot to a 2 speed pump

The best way to do this depends on how you are going to use the two speed pump. Typically a two speed is run with a manual speed switch and a timer that turns the pump on/off. That setup is fairly easy to wire, just power the Nano from the timer before the speed switch.

For a setup where the timer controls both speeds, it depends on how you are going to use the speeds. One fairly common approach is to wire the Nano to low speed. That limits the Nano to only create chlorine while the pump is in low speed, but most of the routine pool filtering should be on low speed and should be a consistent amount each day, which tends to work out well for the SWG.

If you have some more complex plan for using the two speeds, you may need to come up with another approach.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help wiring an Autopiolot to a 2 speed pump

yes my timer controls both my low and high speed, but if running the pump on low speed is enough for my SWG then I will just wire it so it only comes on with the low speed. Thanks for the quick reply.
    21'6" x 38' Inground pool with Onyx pebble tec, Oklahoma flag stone coping with natural moss rock, Hayward DE6020 filter, Hayward Tristar SP3215X202 pump, Hayward Booster pump Model 6060, Ozone Joes OJ-45LR, Intermatic PE653RC. Pool completed in April 2014.