Salt cell & Prologic PS8

Jun 21, 2014
Ocala, Fl
Hi,

We have a small inground pool with a waterfall and spa (pool is just shy of 10,000 gallons) that came with the house we purchased 1.5 years ago (pool was built in 2006). The pump broke right after we moved in so we purchased a Hayward Ecostar VSP to be economical. Unfortunately, we didn't know this at the time, but the VSP pump wouldn't communicate with the Jandy Zodiac Aqualink RS automation that was there. So, the pool person who came to install the pump rigged it so it only runs on high.... not very economical.

Our salt system is now not working (we brought the cell to be tested and they said it was working fine) so we decided to upgrade our automation to the ProLogic PS8 which has the salt system option that will efficiently run the VSP. The automation didn't come with the salt cell so I'll need to purchase a new cell. I've read that the lower gallon salt cells (T3 and T9) aren't as efficient as the T15, however, I believe it's overkill since my pool and spa come to under 15,000 gallons. Anyone have any experience with the T3 and T9 cells? Are they OK or should I just buy the T15?

Also, I see there are generic brands of these salt cells for less money. Are these worth the savings?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP!

We recommend getting a cell that is designed for a pool 1.5 to 3 times larger than your actual pool, so a T9 or T15. The T15 will cost a little less in the long run, as it will last enough longer to more than make up for it's slightly higher price. Still, the T9 is fine if you want to go that route.

I don't recommend generic cells. Reviews have been mixed, with some working find and others failing dramatically.

Did they market you an AquaPlus? It's about the same cost as a PS-8 with 4 less relays but comes with a T-15 cell, would control your VS pump and since you said you had a small pool, it would've been a better fit. Go with a T-15 all the way if your budget permits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.