Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt cell & Prologic PS8

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt cell & Prologic PS8

Hi,

We have a small inground pool with a waterfall and spa (pool is just shy of 10,000 gallons) that came with the house we purchased 1.5 years ago (pool was built in 2006). The pump broke right after we moved in so we purchased a Hayward Ecostar VSP to be economical. Unfortunately, we didn't know this at the time, but the VSP pump wouldn't communicate with the Jandy Zodiac Aqualink RS automation that was there. So, the pool person who came to install the pump rigged it so it only runs on high.... not very economical.

Our salt system is now not working (we brought the cell to be tested and they said it was working fine) so we decided to upgrade our automation to the ProLogic PS8 which has the salt system option that will efficiently run the VSP. The automation didn't come with the salt cell so I'll need to purchase a new cell. I've read that the lower gallon salt cells (T3 and T9) aren't as efficient as the T15, however, I believe it's overkill since my pool and spa come to under 15,000 gallons. Anyone have any experience with the T3 and T9 cells? Are they OK or should I just buy the T15?

Also, I see there are generic brands of these salt cells for less money. Are these worth the savings?

Thanks in advance.
    IG concrete pool 10,000 gallons with spa and waterfall * Hayward EcoStar VSP pump * Propane Gas heater (not sure of make or model) *Salt system (not currently working) *Current Automation: Zodiac Aqualink RS (VSP pump doesn't communicate with this automation) * Just purchased: Hayward Goldline ProLogic PS-8 We haven't installed the new automation yet.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt cell & Prologic PS8

Welcome to TFP!

We recommend getting a cell that is designed for a pool 1.5 to 3 times larger than your actual pool, so a T9 or T15. The T15 will cost a little less in the long run, as it will last enough longer to more than make up for it's slightly higher price. Still, the T9 is fine if you want to go that route.

I don't recommend generic cells. Reviews have been mixed, with some working find and others failing dramatically.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Did they market you an AquaPlus? It's about the same cost as a PS-8 with 4 less relays but comes with a T-15 cell, would control your VS pump and since you said you had a small pool, it would've been a better fit. Go with a T-15 all the way if your budget permits.
    9,000 Gallon Lagoon, Zero-Entry Sunshelf, Natural Stone Weeping Wall & Coping, Deck Jets, Swim-up Bar Top, Wet-Ege Pearl Matrix Interior, Jandy Plus HP 1.5hp 2-Speed Primary Pump, Jandy Max HP 1hp Waterfeature Pump, Jandy CS250 Cartridge, Dual Colorlogic 4.0 Lights, PV3 Infloor Cleaning with MDX 3 Main Drain with Leaf Basket, Compool LX100 Controller, 5 Panel Fafco Solar Heat, Optimizer Plus.

4. Back To Top    #4

The AquaPlus is the equivalent of the ProLogic P4 + cell. These are lacking a few features that are found in the ProLogic PS# automation systems.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you everyone. We decided on the non-generic T9. Now to find a good pool person to install it
    IG concrete pool 10,000 gallons with spa and waterfall * Hayward EcoStar VSP pump * Propane Gas heater (not sure of make or model) *Salt system (not currently working) *Current Automation: Zodiac Aqualink RS (VSP pump doesn't communicate with this automation) * Just purchased: Hayward Goldline ProLogic PS-8 We haven't installed the new automation yet.