Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling pool with well water

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling pool with well water

Just bought an Intex 18 x 48 easy set pool, 5400 gal. Also purchased SWG. I'm new to being a pool owner and am worried about filling my pool with well water. We just had a new softener put in and when the water was tested, the hard water has iron 27ppm. I'm not sure about filling with softened water over a period of days, or using a Camco or other water filter. I dont want to get the brown water everyone says they get. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling pool with well water

Welcome to TFP!

27 ppm is very high. There are various things that can get a fair bit of that out of the water, including the water softener, but there will probably still be enough iron left over to stain the pool.

Filling with the water softener shouldn't be too bad. You will need to watch for when it decides to recharge and stop filling while that happens. It will take several recharge cycles, but with a 5K gallon pool it shouldn't be too bad.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What about using the filters you use for RV's attached to garden hose. Would that help?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, it would help, but not a whole lot. Those filters are specifically designed for very low flow rates, and only capture 1/2 to 3/4 of the iron at best, and would saturate with iron and stop working fairly quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Does using the boost on the SWG help clear some of that up?

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, kind of and really no. There is a technique for removing iron that involves adding a lot of chlorine quickly and hoping that the iron clumps up and can get filtered out. However, doing that with boost on a SWG is very unlikely to work. A SWG is designed to add chlorine slowly and steadily. But to prevent staining when using this approach to remove iron it is critical that the chlorine be added very quickly.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm sorry about the numbers...our water hardness is 27 and iron is 2. Does this change anything?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, that helps a great deal. The water softener should be able to handle an iron level of 2 ppm without much trouble. And if it does miss some of the iron, your iron level should be low enough that it is fairly easy to manage.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks so much......this was really bothering me.

10. Back To Top    #10

I use well water to add water to my pool that has some iron in it. I started using the CuLator packets in my pump skimmer basket and in my hot tub filter area (separate stand-alone hot tub). I have not had any metals in my water since. I use the Taylor test kits for Iron and Copper every couple of weeks.
    18,900gal Viking 16'x40' Fiberglass In-Ground Pool w/ Cover Pool Auto Cover.
    WhisperFlo WF-24; Clean & Clear RP 150 Cartridge Filter; UltraTemp Heat Pump; IntelliChlor IC40 w/ IntelliPh Acid Pump;
    Easytouch Panel w/Screen Logic. Kreepy Krauly 820 Robot.
    LaMotte WaterLink Mobile Spin Lab & TF100/K2006 w/ Speed Stir.