Newbie Fighting a Small Amount of Algae

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
I took my cover off a little over a week ago. I have, what looks like compared to some pics I've seen on here, a small amount of algae, but I don't know. It is green, brushes easily from the floor, but harder to brush from the walls (which might just be me). I've vacuumed already and added a bag and a half of salt, but thought I'd ask before I go any further in case I'm missing something. I've looked online to buy shock and I've seen "non-chlorine" and the regular chlorine shock. Questions:

1. Is there an advantage to buying non-chlorine shock? My liner is not even a year old yet so I definitely don't want to destroy anything.
2. What % of shock should I buy?
3. I don't mind ordering online or going to Lowes, Sam's, or Wal-Mart. Is there a preference of brands?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Have you performed any tests to determine your chlorine and PH levels. You are going to need to know your levels before anyone can really make recommendations for what you should do. Do you have a test kit? Can you provide a pic?

I have a test kit from last year. I never got the hang of reading it and honestly I just didn't use it much. I relied on the info from my SWG box, which I know from reading here that is not recommended at all. I can go take a picture now.

I have a test kit from last year. I never got the hang of reading it and honestly I just didn't use it much. I relied on the info from my SWG box, which I know from reading here that is not recommended at all. I can go take a picture now.

As a first time pool owner last year, all i can say is get the recommended kit they sell here. It is really easy to use and if you follow the advice given here you really will have a trouble free pool.

Here is a link to the SLAMing process. Read through it and start to understand it so you can ask more pointed questions. SLAMing Your Pool.

And after you get the pool under control, here is where you want to end up Water Balance for SWCGs.

Also, need a full set of test results. It can be complicated at first, but the more you do it the better you get. And ultimately, it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

FC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

fee78a21ddb2185795fbbde0fa515274.jpg
6016ad49825a6a092d3a558a61147f7a.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

You are going to need to takde the time to learn how to take care of your pool. "I never got the hang of reading it and honestly I just didn't use it much" doesn't work, you end up green. Our method is based on the knowledge a test kit provides. Once you learn how to use it it is easy and only takes a few minutes to test the pool.

You are going to need to SLAM your pool to get rid of what is growing. Liquid chlorine is what you want to use. No powders, no solids, no magic potions some pool store want to sell you. Liquid chlorine.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with the knowledge and tools necessary to care for your pool.

The knowledge is condensed in the Pool School link at the top of every page. It is a great community here, but we do ask that you read and try to understand the information being taught. Questions are always welcome and folks will try to direct you and teach you the methods.

The tools are not limited to the brushes, vacuum hoses and other stuff you use around the pool, but include the most important item - one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.