Configuring gas heater and solar

Jul 31, 2009
I currently have solar panels installed, but they just don't get enough sun to really heat my pool to what I would like. We are getting a gas heater this year. Is it practical to have both hooked up or just use the gas heater? If you use both, how do you set it up? I would like to maximize the use of the solar when the weather is nicer, but still use the heater to boost when needed.

Definitely good to have both. Water needs to go through solar first and heater second.

There is also pool automation that can control all of it, like the Pentair Suntouch. I am most familiar with Pentair because that is what I have but other companies make similar products, Hayward, Jandy, etc.

To take full advantage of a setup like that one you need some kind of solar controller that understands how to control the combination system. The simplest solar controllers won't work, but most of the automation systems know how to handle a setup like that.

What you need to do is have the heater installed after the solar. This way the solar panels will collect some heat and then the heater will pick up the difference. That's really the only way to do this and it's done like this alot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.